Maui Recommendations
by IrishSpo (2024-04-26 15:35:47)

Hey everyone…back again for more amazing travel recommendations.

We’re heading out to Maui at the end of May with the kids (14,12,8). We’re staying in Wailea…which we have done before and loved the trip. Last time we did most things through the concierge at the hotel, but this time we’re trying to do things a bit more on our own.

Any thoughts from anyone on the below:

Hiking - any good hikes or companies that offer good ones? We loved a hike last time up to a waterfall where we were able to swim. We didn’t like the large group we were put in by the company.

Snorkeling - we’ve got a couple of recommendations from family but if anyone has any secret spots they know about we’d love to hear. We likely will, also, a plan Molokini boat ride to snorkel there one morning.

Surfing - Complete beginners here. Our boys learned some when we went a couple of years ago, but I’d label us as newbies. Any good surf schools that anyone’s found?

Food - always looking for good food spots. We’re willing to go hole-in-the wall or up to fine dining. If the foods good we are up for it. The kids are good patrons at the high end places as well.

Thank you all in advance!

Say thank you. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-28 22:12:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lunches
by Thesixthgreatlake  (2024-04-27 10:15:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The below recs are solid. I’ll approach from lunch. Tin Roof, the pool restaurant at the Andaz in Wailea and Mama’s are all great. When staying at Andaz, we ate lunch on campus several times. Paia Fish Market is very good. The original is all that’s left after the fire.

My favorite Maui restaurant was Fleetwood’s on Front Street. The food didn’t change my life but it was very good, the beer and wine excellent, music fun but not obtuse, and the service impeccable. A rooftop seat watching the sun set over the Pacific Ocean was about as close to Heaven as you can get.

My Maui recs
by TMCT  (2024-04-27 08:02:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We just went 2 yrs ago today..

Iao Valley was a short, but very accessible and awesome hike and one of the coolest places I've seen anywhere. We hiked up through the river a little and my kids swam in a rock pool. Not a hike but if you like waterfalls there's a good one maybe an hour into Road to Hana - you'll see jeeps parked on side of road and people jumping off a 12 ft or so waterfall. The Waihe’e Ridge Trail hike is pretty steep and has awesome views if skies are clear - but gets muddy and has almost no views if clouds close in.

We stayed in Wailea and tried to go snorkeling at a cove towards Makena 5 mins down the road. It was choppy with poor visibility and we left, and pretty sure someone was shark bait there last year. Makena Beach itself was really nice. Molokini was really cool - I'd advise taking one of the bigger boats to avoid chop on way back in.

Surfing is tough on Maui. There are beginner classes in Kaanapali but often little/no waves and some of the better breaks are pretty far offshore near Mama's fish house or up against rocks on the Kapalua side.

There's a food truck called Ono Tacos which burnt down in the fire but apparently reopened. The owner was incredibly nice on both of our visits, and tacos were legit.

If you're staying at Wailea Beach Club and aren't Marriott platinum try to get status ASAP (through credit card, etc) b/c the breakfast perks are really good at Whale's Tail.

Mamas Fish House and Kihei sushi *
by NDFlyer  (2024-04-27 04:31:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IF you can get into Lineage check it out. Sheldon from
by CAFB4ND  (2024-04-26 19:55:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top Chef owns it. Good spot. MonkeyPod is also good. Kihei Cafe has a good breakfast but is cash only. The line moves pretty quick. 5 palms was also a good breakfast spot and had a good ahi Benedict. I never ate at Cafe Ole but heard good things. They ran the restaurant at the hotel we stay at and that was pretty good so thats another spot to consider. As mentioned if you can get into
Mama’s it is worth it.

knute's probably got you, but I did want to put in my .02
by ravenium  (2024-04-26 18:27:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since you're staying near where I did last time.

- I took a flier and tried scuba last time vs snorkeling. Had a blast and saw an octopus. Maui Dreams Dive Co was great.

- Book Mama's Fish House now if you can, it fills up quickly. Monkeypod doesn't look like much but is an easy drive from the Wailea area. Maui Brewing company is fun too. Sadly all my other reccs burned down in Lahaina.

- If you fancy getting up early, do the sunrise bike down Haleakala.

I think we were last in Maui in 2022 and we had
by 1978Irish  (2024-04-26 18:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to make reservations at Mama a couple months in advance and even then we ended up eating around 3 p.m. Food was great.

With Lahaina gone, I assume thing will be more crowded, so reservations in advance for most things probably advisable.

We stayed 2 nights at the Hana-Maui Resort, which is a Hyatt property. 2 years ago, it needed some work. The hotel restaurant is only open for breakfast. The Hana Ranch Restaurant across the street is very average.

The rooms are all cabins. Sunrise is around 6 a.m. and cabins are constructed so the sun shines in your window. It is stunning over the ocean.

We were able to beat most tourists to the 7 pools

Feel free to send me an email
by knutesteen  (2024-04-26 17:24:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As many know, I live on Maui, I have answers to each of your questions, and am happy to help.