Apartment Hunting: Everett, WA // Seattle, WA
by NDFoil (click here to email the poster) (2024-04-26 14:51:29)

D22 will be starting her new job at Boeing in a few months and I'm taking here out there next week to find an apartment. Because she will be splitting her time between the Boeing facility in Everett and Boeing Field in Seattle, she has received advice to live somewhere that is reasonably convenient to both locations.

We've been zeroing in on apartments in Kirkland, WA as a possibility, but want to make sure we're not missing out on other locations as well. She's not a huge nightlife / party gal, but would definitely like to live in an area with lots of other young professional, things to do, upscale shopping and restaurants, etc.

Relatedly, if anyone can recommend a parish out there with a strong young-adult community, I know she would be very interested in that too.

I've included my email in case anyone wants to respond privately. Many thanks in advance for all suggestions and leads.

Bellevue, Capitol Hill
by sactophillycnxn  (2024-04-29 06:54:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both Boeing facilities are off of I-5, with Everett a good 30 mins north of downtown Seattle and Boeing Field at last 15 mins south of downtown (commute is at least double those times in rush hour).

Cap Hill is right off I-5 and near downtown. Lots of young professionals from Amazon, Meta, Microsoft live there. It has a ton of very good restaurants and pretty much any type of cuisine you could look for. It is a very, very liberal town though and not for everyone. Parish-wise, it’s located near Seattle University which has a nice chapel and obviously a younger community. St. James Cathedral is also in Cap Hill and has a strong community.

Kirkland/Bellevue are east of downtown Seattle and probably add at least 15-20 minutes to the commute vs. somewhere closer to downtown. Both are very nice cities and on the affluent side of things (lots of luxury shopping in Bellevue along with daily sightings of Aston Martin’s and Cybertrucks), so definitely much safer than Seattle. There are a decent amount of young professionals that live there as Microsoft is headquartered nearby and Amazon and Meta have big offices in Bellevue. However, you’ll find more 30-40yos with families, so finding young professionals with a similar situation as your daughter may be more challenging. There are also some really good restaurant options in Kirkland/Bellevue but a lot more spread out than Cap Hill.

Hope your daughter enjoys the outdoors. Lots of places to hike, bike, kayak, paddle board, etc. The weather is pretty perfect from end of May to late Sept, along with really long days (it already stays light out until 8:15). But she’ll want to prepare for some dark days in the winter when she won’t see the sun for a while.