Harpy neighbor rides up my wood
by Nyirish08 (2024-04-25 15:47:25)
Edited on 2024-04-25 17:32:44

I am doing some home renovating, and my contractor gave me a list of lumber needed. My friend's family owns a big lumberyard, and they delivered it today. Except instead of my driveway, the guy dumped the long pallet of wood onto my neighbors' driveway.
She battled the town and won a few years ago because she put Walpole privacy walls around her property, against ordinance. They ultimately decided everyone was better off away from her.
She has a very short driveway(like 20 feet) that enters in the rear of her property, and is as wide as her two car garage.
My driveway, the intended destination, is around 100 feet down the street.
Harpy evidently got back from her lunch date and came peeling up the street and whipped into her driveway, except there was a pallet of lumber there. She damaged the front end of her brand new GLS, and pushed the wood into her garage door, displacing it into the garage.
My wood only received minor damage. I can't imagine I have any liability here. They lumber people sent a representative over immediately, confirming to me she is at her absolute worst in this sort of situation. I am left with a few questions-
While the lumber delivery guy delivered to the wrong address, should the neighbor have perhaps looked where she was driving prior to entering her driveway? Her garage door was only another 15 feet away. I will now warrant extra scowls beyond her previous visible disdain, due to clothing choices of Michele the babysitter around her kids(and probably moreso husband). BBMF.

A+ *
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-26 15:04:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did her privacy wall obscure her vision of the driveway?
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-26 08:03:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's some nice petard hoisting. It is hard to imagine how or why someone would be pulling in so hard to their driveway just to park. Does anyone else live in the house?

I agree that I can't think of any reason why you would be liable. But that doesn't mean that she won't look for blame. I would have a hard time finding the lumber company liable either. While there are foreseeable damages to making the wrong delivery, I really have a hard time finding it foreseeable that a person already driving outside would not have sufficient time to notice this and adjust unless they are driving negligently. I could perhaps see an argument that someone backing out of a garage into the driveway could have obstructed vision and not see the pile in reverse.

I'm not sure
by Nyirish08  (2024-04-26 12:59:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The wood people called the contractor, who called me laughing. He met with her once about something and gave her a 4x estimate to get rid of her.
My wife texted her and she read it an hasn't responded in 24 hours.

Possibly one of the best subject lines ever *
by drmurray  (2024-04-26 07:01:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The World According to Harp
by gmb66  (2024-04-25 18:02:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(drops mic)

it's like a dream... *
by Final_Flanner  (2024-04-25 18:30:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, it's ideally down, but I digress... *
by ocnd  (2024-04-25 16:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course she should have paid attention.
by socal_doubledomer74  (2024-04-25 16:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your neighbor sounds like a piece of work.

What if someone had pulled into her driveway to turn around? Or worse yet, a child had wandered into her driveway? People should be paying attention to their surroundings when they're operating a vehicle whether they're on their personal property or not.

This story was somehow better than the title suggested. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-25 15:49:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His wood only received minor damage *
by Lloyd Braun  (2024-04-25 16:03:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Despite being pushed into her garage door and displaced! *
by cmhirish  (2024-04-25 18:10:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

POTD *
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-04-25 20:56:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post