Airstream Advice
by kevinprice (2024-04-25 15:46:31)

My wife and I are buying a small Airstream, a 2013 16 ft Bambi. What is the minimum tow vehicle necessary to pull it? I've done research but there seems to be a fairly large gap between what people on forums recommend and what Airstream says is necessary.

Does anyone have experience or advice? Does anyone have any advice about owning an airstream or travel trailer in general? It will be our first one.

We are taking it to Yellowstone from Northern California in July. Mountain climbing is inevitable for this trip and most other trip we take around California.

We currently have a 2013 4WR V6 highlander which I believe to be sufficient.

How much experience do you have pulling trailers?
by Dutch  (2024-04-26 13:27:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its a lot of responsibility and while not difficult, you can mess it up if you don't know what you are doing. If you are experienced, my biggest concern with what you described is whether or not you'd be capable of slowing down the trailer enough in the mountains without burning up your brakes (I don't know the answer to that question as I have not pulled trailers in the mountains). If you're not experienced, this seems like a bad idea regardless of your tow vehicle, but especially if you don't have a trailer brake.

Here's a great youtube channel
by bmoney  (2024-04-25 17:23:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've known these folks for a number of years and they know all things airstream.

Their videos are pretty informative and I'm sure you could always reach out to them directly and they'd give any advice you need.

Check your vehicle's owner's manual. *
by ndphils  (2024-04-25 15:54:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, yes of course I did that, thank you
by kevinprice  (2024-04-25 16:05:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more looking for practical advice in case anyone has experience.

Here's how to calculate it. (link)
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-25 15:50:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Honestly, if that thing is about 3K lbs you might be running up against your towing capacity/GCWR unless you've got an OEM trailer hitch with a transmission cooler and potentially a trailer braking system. Looks like you've got a 5K towing capacity but the terrain may be a real problem.

Thank you, I've done the calculations
by kevinprice  (2024-04-25 15:59:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once we load up the Bambi, I estimate only having between 1000 and 500 pound difference between tow rating and trailer weight.

thisisfine.gif or This is fine?