It’s great that you’re taking your Dad to Ireland.
by DonegalND73 (click here to email the poster) (2024-04-22 11:53:47)

In reply to: Golf in Ireland  posted by Charlie Hough

When are you going? This is important. Ireland is extremely busy from mid May to early September. Getting on the well known courses is tough in the “summer” season. Adare Manor will be particularly tough because the Ryder Cup will be held there in the next couple of years! I’ve never used a travel service. I’ve always booked my own tee times and hotel stays. I’ve heard mostly good things about the services that cater to golfers, but they are expensive; especially in high season. Early May is not as busy travel wise, but the weather can be really iffy. Usually, late September is pretty good weather (the ND/Navy game in late Aug an exception last year) and not as crowded. The list of great courses is long. I’ve played over 20 during the last 30yrs; and many of the great ones. Pick a time of year. Figure out how much time you will spend in Ireland. The country may be small, but there are great courses everywhere; many of the best known clustered in the Southwest. It’s all in the planning! My favorite course is Waterville; if the wind isn’t howling! BTW, there is a nice Inn across Adare Manor; The Dunraven Arms. There are a couple of other Inns locally; The Mustard Seed is great and has a terrific restaurant. I visit my family every other year so if you need any additional help you can contact me.

Replies: