Golf in Ireland
by Charlie Hough (click here to email the poster) (2024-04-22 10:07:02)

Looking for some advice for those who have played in Ireland. My dad is turning 70 next year and me and my two brothers may take him on a golf trip to Ireland to play.

The big question I have: plan it ourselves, or hire a company? I have driven over there plenty of times so that doesn't bother me, but I know zilch about the courses there and difficulty of getting on. Furthermore, having someone plan it and drive us around would obviously be easier, but is it worth the money? We also wouldn't golf everyday, for what it's worth. My dad had knee surgery and can walk 18 if it's flat, but if not, he needs a cart, which I know isn't exactly prevalent over there, so bonus points if you can recommend courses that allow carts with a doctor's note.

What I'd really love is to make a base of a resort like Adare Manor and play courses within driving distance, but their prices have really taken off. Anyone know of a similar resort that isn't $1k/night?

Thanks in advance.

I did the trip last year
by irishrock (click here to email the poster)  (2024-04-23 08:03:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

11 of us...four guys played every other day while the rest of us played all six days in a row

Dooks
Waterville
Tralee
Ballybunion
Doonbeg
Lahinch

We used a great guy named Conn...I'll be honest and share that he was quite a bit less than the 3 other operators I called. I also called Waterville and Ballybunion to make sure he was on up and up and they said he was and he certainly arranged our trip in a magnificent way. I have referred many people to him and they all say his tour was great. (I looked into Hidden Links and I'd say you're likely paying for their advertising...eg Faldo and such)

We stayed 3 nights in Killarney, 2 in Lahinch, and last 2 in Dublin. we did have a bus and driver...spreading the cost over 11 made that simple and inexpensive.

Carts...Waterville will allow it. So will Doonbeg if it is a medical reason. I"m unsure if the rest of the trips allow it so you need to ask the tour operator.

My lady came over for the following week and we stayed at Adare Manor and it was magnificent...but, it was expensive and the golf is inland/parkland...it wouldn't feel like Ireland links golf at all. Just a fair warning

you should have a great time together...best of luck. email enclosed if you have further questions or want Conn's phone #...they're already putting together 2025 trips so you're smart to get cracking so you can get good tee times

Sent you an email! *
by LondonDomer  (2024-04-23 13:42:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We went Labor Day weekend 2013 and used Hidden Links
by NDFlyer  (2024-04-22 15:17:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We did a Northern Ireland trip. Flew into Dublin and 8 of us rode in a van with a driver. Hidden Links booked us in hotels and tee times at Ardglass, Royal Portrush, Port Stewart, Royal County Down and then we returned to Dublin to play Portmarnock and County Louth.

I was looking into Hidden Links
by Charlie Hough  (2024-04-22 15:21:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any opinions? Would you use them again?

Definitely would use them again. *
by NDFlyer  (2024-04-23 11:01:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I liked them
by Zbirdman  (2024-04-23 03:39:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We did Scotland in '22 with Hidden Links with 2 nights in Carnoustie and 5 nights in St Andrews. They were fantastic.

We are going again in Sept to Ireland (Dublin and Northern Ireland) and I booked it all with them.

Golfin' and fightin' in the mudderland *
by jt  (2024-04-22 14:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've fortunately gone twice since Covid ended.
by builderbob  (2024-04-22 13:37:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've used Pioneer Golf for both trips and had groups of 8 & 12 so lodging and travel was more complicated. I think one of the advantages is that these types of companies have access to a lot of tee times that individuals don't have. On the other hand, I have a friend who was born there and his father, who also resides here, runs a trip for 20 every year but he has all kinds of connections and local knowledge. I will say Pioneer Golf has done a great job with our trips.

I have been trying to plan a trip the last few years
by Pat85 (click here to email the poster)  (2024-04-22 13:07:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately my brothers who are in their 70s, one of them has had health issues each of the last 2 years to delay our planning. I planned similar trips for us to Wales and Scotland 14 and 10 years ago.

I enjoy surfing the internet and exploring B&Bs and hotels, and I already have a pretty good knowledge of the golf courses. There are plenty of incredible courses all along the coast of the island, and more inland as well. My thoughts were golf no more than 2 days in a row, and then either moving to a new hotel or B&B, or touring for a day. There are courses with carts (or buggies), and also courses with caddies depending on his mobility, but some of the most famous courses do not offer carts even for people with disability qualification.

Feel free to email and I can share some of the courses and towns I was planning for our trip. It looks like you have some other good advice coming from other posters as well.

Went a few years ago……
by irishguard78  (2024-04-22 11:54:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We used a planner to arrange the golf rounds. I would guess you could do it yourself, but comparing should be easy enough. There are north and south golf areas to play. We focused on the southern courses. So before you decide I’m wrong for this, we stayed at Doonbeg. It is on the ocean, south of Galway, west of Limerick. Yea yea yea, it’s a Trump hotel, but the course is fun and the hotel was nice and in a good location for some of the courses. As I recall, it was in the €350 a night range. And about halfway through, we moved to Killarney, which has a really fun vibe….pubs with live music and horse racing nearby.

Golf….there are plenty of good courses, all within a reasonable drive from Doonbeg. Ballybunion, Lahinch, Tralee, Old Head, Waterville…..my favorite course was Waterville, with Lahinch a close second. Not sure about carts at any of the courses, we walked them all.

It’s great that you’re taking your Dad to Ireland.
by DonegalND73 (click here to email the poster)  (2024-04-22 11:53:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When are you going? This is important. Ireland is extremely busy from mid May to early September. Getting on the well known courses is tough in the “summer” season. Adare Manor will be particularly tough because the Ryder Cup will be held there in the next couple of years! I’ve never used a travel service. I’ve always booked my own tee times and hotel stays. I’ve heard mostly good things about the services that cater to golfers, but they are expensive; especially in high season. Early May is not as busy travel wise, but the weather can be really iffy. Usually, late September is pretty good weather (the ND/Navy game in late Aug an exception last year) and not as crowded. The list of great courses is long. I’ve played over 20 during the last 30yrs; and many of the great ones. Pick a time of year. Figure out how much time you will spend in Ireland. The country may be small, but there are great courses everywhere; many of the best known clustered in the Southwest. It’s all in the planning! My favorite course is Waterville; if the wind isn’t howling! BTW, there is a nice Inn across Adare Manor; The Dunraven Arms. There are a couple of other Inns locally; The Mustard Seed is great and has a terrific restaurant. I visit my family every other year so if you need any additional help you can contact me.

Thank you for this
by Charlie Hough  (2024-04-22 12:39:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We will be going in either late September or early October as his birthday is 9/24.