Lincoln Park Chicago
by Gatewood (2024-04-22 00:01:39)

For those familiar with Chicago

Recently retired and considering selling our large Midwest suburban house and moving into a city

Visited Chicago and loved Lincoln Park — wonderful area

My question for those familiar with Chicago — I am concerned with Chicago’s future (crime rate and tax the rich mantra of the Major). Is Lincoln Park a good place to Invest?

Thanks in advance

Be sure to check on what insurance prices would be for house
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-22 16:47:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and car. I met a woman recently with six grown children and two of her daughters, one who lives downtown and one lives in the city, and both are looking to move out of the city.

I think it depends on what you want
by ravenium  (2024-04-22 13:36:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We moved out of the city and to a transit-oriented development in the burbs a couple years ago so we could take advantage of mass transit and walk to restaurants/bars but still be able to have a yard and a garage.

If you're looking to be close to cultural events (say opera/symphony/plays) and museums, there's not a lot of alternative than living in a city. You could still do transit though.

This is a matter of personal opinion but I wouldn't think of your choice as "investing" - where do you want to *live* your everyday? Sunday grocery runs become as important as the latest restaurant.

It always seems cities go through a cycle every 50 years or so with good and bad times. It's hard to say the outcome that increased work from home will have on large commercial regions, but I think things eventually balance out.

I would rent for a year and see if like it before buying. *
by Raoul  (2024-04-22 12:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with this, recently retired business partner
by JJ97  (2024-04-22 12:18:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They ended up picking 4 places to visit and did an AirBND each quarter for a year. Then the one they liked best they bought a year later.

Lived here for 27 years now on North Side
by JJ97  (2024-04-22 10:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lincoln Park, Lakeview and most recently Lincoln Square.

When my son graduates high school we will be selling our Chicago place and keeping our place in SW Michigan near the lake and finding a second place in warm weather someplace.

North side of Chicago is a great place to be a 20 something and even raise a family. I am not sure I would want to retire here. If anything I would think retirement to the Goldcoast or West Loop might be better just from a dining perspective.

Robberies in Lincoln Park area
by btownirish  (2024-04-22 10:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's no surprise that crime has been on the rise in Chicago (I've heard stories from several friends/colleagues who live in the city), but I heard on WBBM last week that police we're investigating a series of robberies in the near-north neighborhoods, Lincoln Park being one of them. Cars stop pedestrians on sidewalks at gunpoint and demand their money. Scary stuff, as I also have two nieces in the city. This won't be the case forever, and it sounds like your decision is a long-term one, but positive steps need to be taken.

Beware the pirates! Arrrrgh!
by IAND75  (2024-04-22 14:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My drivers are friendly and courteous
Their good manners you always will get
For they are all recent graduates
Of the charm school in Joliet

I must say it is a strange choice
by ACross  (2024-04-22 09:49:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cold as shit for at least 5 months a year.

I do think it has a lot to offer younger folks. But retired folks? I am not so sure.

It's not unheard of for Chicago suburbanites
by manofdillon  (2024-04-22 10:23:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to downsize and move to a condo in the city when they become empty nesters (often with somewhere else to spend the cold months). But it does strike me as an unusual move for someone who doesn't already live in the Chicago area. But it's still a great city with a lot to offer folks of any age.

I would not
by ratinatux  (2024-04-22 08:14:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Be concerned about the crime aspect vis a vis Lincoln Park, compared to any major city.

Chicagoans recently shot down a real estate tax hike, but I doubt its the last we hear on those issues. If taxes are a primary concern, there are significantly better and significantly worse cities.

This could get…
by DavidAddison  (2024-04-22 07:16:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

political, fast. I’ll avoid that other than to say do your due diligence at the state level as well.