One thing I like about the article...
by Kbyrnes (2024-04-21 13:52:33)

In reply to: An article that will make airborne's head explode  posted by lurker

...is the person who said that we should treat people who have obesity with respect, as we would people with other health issues; but that we can still recognize the health issues.

This lady has every right to eat and be merry as she likes. However, rather than dwell on how she feels about her body at 42, she might consider what it would be like to have a BMI of, say, 40 at age 72.

We can be kind and decent and respectful.
by Cash  (2024-04-21 17:31:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We can acknowledge each person’s dignity and not be ugly or callous to our fellow man/woman.

But it is essential that we be honest about the myriad structural and physiological harms to which chronic severe obesity (BMI > 35) leads. It’s a chronic inflammatory state.

We shouldn’t shame, but we sure as hell shouldn’t be spouting lies in a specious effort to buoy self-esteems.

Cash

You've got my vote
by ravenium  (2024-04-22 12:25:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some people can keep thin throughout life without trying. Some people gain weight by looking at a donut. So many factors play a part.

Can we all agree obesity is a health issue with massive implications to society, that we should be addressing it, but that not everyone is obese because they (as the person in this article is doing) chow down unrepentantly?

Some people need the extra push - ozempic and wegovy aren't magic bullets - they suppress hunger cravings and make you want to barf if you eat too much. I don't know anyone who would be on it if it didn't help or work when nothing else does.

Above all else, I am very angry at the person in the article because they're a borderline caricature of real life weight struggles of people who are not pompous idiots.

That's it. *
by Revue Party  (2024-04-21 23:46:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cosign
by GU82ND4ever  (2024-04-21 22:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am proud to be down 45 pounds from 5 years ago thanks to diet and exercise, but I still deal with the effects of carrying too much weightt for too long. I feel for her children.

She should feel shame instead she is empowered
by airborneirish  (2024-04-21 14:24:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a fat idiot and drain on our resources.

“If parents put restrictions on foods, then children will
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-21 16:08:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

never figure out how to eat according to their bodies’ own needs, she explained.” This was her explanation for letting her kids eat as many Oreos as they want.

The cost of her diet will fall on society.
by EricCartman  (2024-04-21 14:01:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At some point, people will realize this and something will happen. What, I don't know. It just feels like as the costs associated with obesity/ unhealthy living increase, society is going to push back.

One example is the insurance surcharge associated with smoking. Perhaps something similar will occur with BMI, cholesterol, weight, etc.

I feel for people that try and lose weight, while losing out to genetics. I'm struggling to feel for someone that ignores reality and lives on a YOLO diet.