Somehow B9 is entertained/riveted by the WNBA draft
by DakotaDomer (2024-04-15 20:35:58)
Edited on 2024-04-15 20:39:31

He has watched maybe 5 minutes of non-Irish women’s basketball of any kind in his entire life.

But he thinks drafts are the height of exciting TV. I seriously worry how much power the algorithms have to control this generation and tell them what to watch/buy/do. How the fuck was anyone ever convinced that this was TV worth watching? He’s going to demand we watch 50 hours of NFL draft…end rant

It's a gateway drug to cooking shows
by ravenium  (2024-04-16 14:38:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would I watch hours of TV about food I cannot eat? Answer: add suspense and analysis. Well, and probably feed me wine while I write code.

Look at the NFL Pro Bowl - boring as shit, yet they added skills competitions that add an element of suspense.

I love when they watch cooking shows with grandma
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-16 15:09:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They instantly fall asleep.

Cut the kid some slack. Maybe he just digs tall chicks. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-16 10:51:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember being so interested in the league at launch
by shea  (2024-04-16 08:32:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still have a VCR recording of the first game - the promotion really landed on me at 7 years old. (I don't own a VCR to play it on, alas.)

I remember Houston winning the first 4 titles from 97-00
by Tex Francisco  (2024-04-16 08:40:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and then being contracted in 2008. Houston is still tied for the most championships despite not having played a game since 2008.

I find drafts pretty compelling personally.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-16 08:16:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course I lean into the “human interest” angle of sports as well. So a well done draft can be pretty compelling television to me.

As far as the whole “I want my kids to play outside all day and not watch tv” debate goes. Well, I think that a lot of parents tend to miss for the forest for the trees. But that’s just one parents opinion.

there was one? *
by jt  (2024-04-16 11:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some are better than others.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-16 15:05:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ESPN alternate ones haven’t been bad. But as soon as I see Kiper or Berman, I’m done.

Sports drafts are oddly compelling. And the WNBA is
by steez_nutz  (2024-04-16 07:43:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

exceptionally compelling this year on the heels of the women's final four having more viewers than the men's version. As to why I think drafts are interesting...it's real-time pop culture in prime-time hours on a weeknight where there is otherwise no other live TV. I think that's probably fairly interesting for young teens to watch people not much older than they are (and possibly follow on social media) get drafted into the professional ranks. And the draft picks are made in relatively short order so it caters to short attention spans. Similarly, I turn on the Mecum Car Auction show when we have family in town. It's not politically objectionable in any way and it's about 1 minute per car.

He's just taking it all in.
by doolinbanjos  (2024-04-16 04:11:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think at that age, different things can be an obsession for different reasons, whether it be the WNBA draft, the solar system, dinosaurs, etc. For me it was baseball stats (historical and current). I'd make up baseball games just to drive tracking stats. I think it is a natural phase of intellectual development, although I've no expertise in that area.

He'll likely move on to something else in a while.

If he starts killing animals, then I'd be a little concerned.

I'm certain this is accurate
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-16 07:06:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But when they're littler taking it all in is adorable even if the subject matter is boring. "Oh yes, that is very interesting that the human head weighs 8 pounds."

Now when he's taking in boring things it's not nearly as cute and just boring.

Edit: I misread the original post. My apologies! Not that
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-16 01:55:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it’s an excuse, but I’ve been in the hospital all night with a very sick kid. I’m a little testy. Again, my apologies.

His post was clearly about drafts not women's sports.
by RagingBull  (2024-04-16 07:48:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He said his boy, "thinks drafts are the height of exciting TV." It's a valid point. They're painful and I, like Dakota Domer, have no idea why anyone would watch them.

I've seen more than a few misogynistic posts on this board. This isn't one of them.

I have 2 daughters, both of whom played every sport imaginable, one now in college (D3 lacrosse). If they watched the WNBA Draft I too would question their choice of entertainment.

You got me pegged
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-16 06:11:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Real concerned about keeping up on appearances of traditional masculinity on NDN and with my boys. Always worried about women’s sports taking women out of the kitchen.

This was a post about how kids and some adults are easily manipulated by boring as shit TV. I’d have no problem if my kid was a giant women’s basketball fan, it’s in the post that he’s clearly not. He just wants to watch drafts for some damned reason.

Hey, some people are into that sort of thing
by jt  (2024-04-16 11:03:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fine by me

Wow, you really went there. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-16 11:17:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't judge, usaf_irish *
by jt  (2024-04-16 14:44:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least it’s not RVs full of swingers. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-16 14:47:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

DD, my apologies. I misread. *
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-16 09:15:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am sorry to say
by ACross  (2024-04-15 23:58:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That neither of my sons have ever watched a single minute of women’s or men’s college basketball, ND or otherwise. I shan’t be taking them to a minor league baseball game either. I prefer to get the hell outside and keep them away from the TV.

I can say without hesitation
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-16 00:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My kids spend more time outside playing than you do oranging yourself. I don’t need to keep them from the TV. They hardly ever show an interest in it. Thats what makes the draft fascination notable.

I’m really not sure how many drinks deep you have to be to say you’d prefer someone go outside than to a minor league baseball game. I hope the wine was worth the idiotic comment.

Golf clap ! *
by LAW83  (2024-04-16 05:58:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Watching basketball on tv is not exactly riveting
by ACross  (2024-04-16 01:01:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Neither is minor league baseball. What a bore.

Take the kids fishing or something else useful.

If they are sufficiently motivated to play outside without
by knutesteen  (2024-04-16 00:32:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

watching sports on TV, you're way ahead of the game. Kids these days need more "play" than watching, on TV or computers. 🤙