It was the attitude of a grandparent...
by pmoose (2024-04-15 14:13:09)

In reply to: In re: getting offers  posted by ACross

...who had a granddaughter that was on the team of my daughter when she was right around 8 that convinced me that softball wasn't going to happen anymore. My daughter fielded a ball in the infield and didn't quickly make the right play and this grandmother yelled at her at the top of her lungs "WHAT, ARE YOU STUPID!?!?" It was at that point that I decided my daughter wouldn't be continuing on with that softball league.

Funny thing about parents, at least from my experience, it seems they are most crazy when the kids are much younger. It seems to be the exception instead of the rule with this same daughter, who is now 16 years old, to have a parent have even much more than a quick yelp about disagreement with a call. My S12 is the other way around - there is almost always at least one parent from the other team that is boorish.

Speaking as a grandparent of HS varsity and club athletes
by Gm73  (2024-04-15 20:13:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who have worked their way up through various travel teams, grandparents who complain about their grandkids’ teammates or game officials should be banned from the games for life.

Your observation about age is a good one
by catripledomer  (2024-04-15 15:51:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I used to coach and ref youth soccer, the worst parents were always the U8 girls because, at the point any one of them could have been the next Mia Hamm. As the kids grow up, parents start to get more realistic about their child's ability.