Boomer experience...
by Kbyrnes (2024-04-15 13:10:11)

In reply to: The less talented and knowledgeable the parents are,  posted by SixShutouts66

...I played little league for several years ('64-'68) on the southwest side of Chicago, with our team sponsored by Kean Brothers service station. Our coach took instructing us seriously, but on game day it was fun. I don't remember a single untoward remark by a parent, ever--not even in postseason play or at all-star games.

Family money well spent *
by El Kabong  (2024-04-15 14:06:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I washed out of Little League
by Shifty  (2024-04-15 13:41:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll note up front my coaches, and the parents of teammates and opponents, were all very supportive.

In practice I could hit well. That was with a coach tossing batting practice sorts of pitches. But in games I was terrified of getting hit by the baseball.

I tried pitching. In practice I was fairly decent. My one part of one game on the mound was a disaster. Maybe I was afraid of hitting the hitter. I got the hook and never saw the mound again. With good reason!

I played outfield well. Could track down and catch most anything nearby. My arm was OK when I needed to get the ball back to the infield.

My baseball career was over by 5th grade. It was brief, but I enjoyed it.

post season play, all star games
by PWK2  (2024-04-15 13:16:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Subtle brag much?

JK

My most memorable play...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-04-15 13:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Left field in an all-star game, fly ball right into the sun; I move sideways and step in what might have been a woodchuck hole, falling backwards. On my back, I hear cheering, look at my glove, and see the ball. "What a great diving catch," said the coach when I came back to the dugout. I just shrugged and made a face like this:

(I think about half the league made it to the all-star game.)