Minor League Baseball a big thing?
by TWO (2024-04-15 10:59:41)

Bus rides to Cedar Rapids no longer the way things go, apparently an outfit called Diamond Baseball Holdings thinks there's gold in those bus rides!

It's on The Athletic so it's paywalled but here's a snippet.

WAPPINGERS FALLS, N.Y. — The artificial turf at Heritage Financial Park is new. So is the right-field wall that opens wide enough for an 18-wheeler to haul concert equipment onto the field. The party deck is sponsored by a brewery that’s 10 miles away, giant windows have been installed around the corporate event space overlooking left field, and the renovated home clubhouse, where the Hudson Valley Renegades dress before games, has two indoor batting cages flanked by state-of-the-art data and motion-capture technology.

This is Class-A baseball in 2024. Quirky and local, but also big business that’s booming. Minor-league attendance is up and approaching pre-pandemic levels, new ballparks are being built, and existing franchises are selling at what are believed to be record prices. These are not the wooden bleachers and potholed infields of old.

At the center of this transformation is Diamond Baseball Holdings, a three-year-old company that owns more than a quarter of all minor league clubs. From a ground-up franchise in Spartanburg, S.C., to long-established clubs in Louisville, Ky., and Lansing, Mich., to their most recent purchase of the Harrisburg Senators in Pennsylvania, Diamond Baseball Holdings (DBH) now owns 32 of 120 affiliates, and its founders said they are still “aggressively in acquisition mode.”

“We are agnostic to geography. We are agnostic to club affiliation,” executive chairman Pat Battle said. “If you’re one of the 120, we are interested.”

Summer league and college ball too.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-15 16:01:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not just the Cape League. The Northwoods League is pretty big too. The Valley League in Virginia. And so on and so on.

If you live in a “cold weather” state, you don’t know about SEC baseball. The top schools will average between 8k and 10k on the season. It’s not unusual for teams to average between 4k and 6k. A lot of those games are basically tailgates in inside the stadiums. It’s a crazy scene for someone who’s never been.

As others have mentioned, it’s geared towards families, is cheap, and a relatively good time when you don’t have a real vested rooting interest.

Went to a bunch of Muskegon Clippers games last summer
by irishnyer  (2024-04-15 13:04:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

$5 tickets, cheap beers and dogs. Tons of fun at a very old stadium watching our friends' son (plays 3B for Kalamazoo College) go up against D1 players.

After making D3 All American, he was picked up by the Kalamazoo Growlers, which does similar family friendly antics of the Savannah Bananas. Looking forward to another summer of small stadium baseball.

The West Michigan Whitecaps seem big in comparison even.

Plus, ball and strike calls can be challenged!
by ndzippy  (2024-04-15 12:43:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Went to a Durham Bulls game last weekend and learned that pitchers, catchers, and/or batters can challenge ball & strike calls (I believe each team is limited to 3-4 such challenges).

When a call is challenged, it works like the tennis review system...a 3-D representation of the ball passing through the strike zone is shown on the tron. Takes almost no time at all, and the ruling is final.

The home plate ump at the game went 0/4 on challenges. Made me wonder...shouldn't something be done about a guy missing 4 ball/strike calls during one game?

The average MAJOR league ump probably misses more than 4...
by NDKevin  (2024-04-15 13:01:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... ball/strike calls most games. I would imagine minor league umps are even worse.

I'm not concerned about borderline misses
by SixShutouts66  (2024-04-15 13:15:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's difficult to get calls right all the time when the ball moves. Also most umpires anticipate the location of the pitch by the catcher's glove, making calls more difficult when the pitch is off-target (and perhaps still a strike). The swing or check swing is also a difficult call at times

The blatant misses are certainly a concern.

The pitch clock has made a huge difference
by jddomer  (2024-04-15 12:16:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to an Iowa Cubs game last year, fully prepared to be bored. I had a great time, and the game only took about 2.5 hours. The pitch clock speeding up the game made such a big difference. Less time sitting around, waiting while yet another pitcher comes in, adjusts himself, throws a few times, then the batter steps out, adjusts himself, practices swinging... ugh.

The food was good, the baseball was good, there was entertainment between innings. And it was NOT expensive at all.

Minor league baseball is poised for success in this era
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-15 12:39:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the product is very attractive from a time management perspective. Instead of travelling/parking taking hours of your life you’re getting there in minutes. It’s closer to a movie in length than what a sporting event used to be. So you can go to it as casually as you would a movie. And it’s outside.

I’ve been taking my kids whenever I can fit it in and that’s the other benefit, a lot more flexibility rather than a huge event plan and sunk cost that could be ruined by something coming up.

Have a blast heading to SB Cubs games
by ndaero93  (2024-04-15 12:11:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

High A ball right here in the Bend.

Was at opening night last week and it's just a good relaxed time and pretty good baseball to boot. It's geared towards families and family entertainment.

And for those who remember the old "Cove", now Four Winds Field, there is even a $45M renovation/expansion planned

It’s almost too good to be true.
by ocnd  (2024-04-15 12:33:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s not only the best entertainment value in the area, but just a great experience overall. The Cove went from a dump to one of the best stadiums in the minors.

Agreed. We go and have fun
by ND8486  (2024-04-15 15:30:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The baseball is bad, but I’ve never paid for a ticket so it’s hard to complain.
My wife’s company has outings up on the left field side above the tiki.
Food, drink and oh yeah baseball.

We just forked over $$$ to build a new MiLB stadium
by ravenium  (2024-04-15 12:04:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MLB apparently slapped a bunch of requirements on the league for stadiums, and our 10 year old stadium didn't qualify. Very frustrating.

Hopefully the new one (thankfully mostly private money) will have more options to go with the costs, but it's also bulldozing 2 of our rec fields, so my beer league softball team is not amused.

I think the primary appeal of minor league baseball to me is that I don't especially care about the roster (unless there's a guy sent down for rehab/etc that is a known quantity), but I do like that I can go out, see a game, have some sort of fandom, and spend less than $20. Try that in the majors.

$20 might cover the parking. *
by PWK2  (2024-04-15 13:21:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a very good doc out with ML BB as a backdrop
by crazychester  (2024-04-15 11:24:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Saint of Second Chances about Bill Veeck's son Mike.

It is in Woosta, Massachusetts *
by LAW83  (2024-04-15 11:12:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post