I was there about 12 years ago
by DBCooper (2024-04-15 09:12:11)
Edited on 2024-04-15 09:18:30

In reply to: Anyone have recommendations for Egypt?  posted by goirish89

Cairo is just crazy. Chaos everywhere. No traffic lights and crossing the street is like the wildebeest crossing the rivers during the Great migration. Just follow the crowd.

Definitely visit the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. Just amazing. Tahrir square is worth the visit, especially if you are a fan of modern history. Get pizza hut there (they love their pizza hut in Egypt). We ate at a great restaurants on an island of the Nile in the city. I dont remember the name, but it was right on the south edge of the island at a Sofitel restaurant. It had a great nightlife scene and views of the city around the island.

Obviously you want to visit the pyramids and sphinx. Get ready to be hit by alot of people selling shit. We did a camel ride around the pyramids which was nice. We also paid a little extra to go inside the Great Pyramid of Giza. I wouldn't say its this amazing walk and its a game changer, but its not that much money to do it and I guess its something to say that you did. But, if you are pressed for time, you can skip it.

I was there for a wedding, so alot of us went on a cruise of the Nile, down to Luxor with Abercrombie and Kent. I think it was 5 days. It was fantastic. If you are deciding what type of cruise to go on. It was not a big ship, probably held like 30/40 passengers. Luxor is well worth the visit. Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings, Temple of Hatshepsut , and Karnak are all must visits.

If you can check out Abu Simbel, thats one place I wasnt able to visit, but its supposed to be great.

Its a wonderful trip, enjoy

Replies: