Did anyone else think Quint was rooting overtly for Syr?
by Wolfetone (2024-03-31 07:20:27)

Lots of snide comments about ND.....

Quint loves everything about ND.
by RagingBull  (2024-04-01 10:25:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's an odd guy who makes odd comments: Grassy knoll? Tomato cans? But he udnerstands the game well. If you cut through the weirdness and focus on the substance, he's as knowledgable as any announcer in any sport.

And he loves ND. He loves Corrigan. I think sometimes he tries to mask his affinity for ND by going the opposite direction.

If I have one complaint about Quint..
by flanner96  (2024-04-01 11:50:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and really every other top color announcer going back to Leif Elsmo, it's that in their zealousness to grow the sport (which, is a good thing) they tend to over-exaggerate everything and make each play into the Most Important Thing Ever. And I think sometimes that can rub fans the wrong way when Quint or Carc or Mark Dixon or Leif were talking about the opponents.

Not every call of a roll dodge by a Virginia second-line middie needs to feel like Superman just launched a 300 MPH missile through a zombie horde and a goalie made of titanium.

This exaggeration has gotten better over the years, as more and more lax games show up on cable/streaming, but it still crops up.

You might have a point there..... *
by Wolfetone  (2024-04-01 10:47:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had some digs on SU too
by flanner96  (2024-04-01 09:55:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Do you want to go behind the back and be popular on Twitter or Instagram or do you want to win championships?"

Sure Stony Brook Women's Coach Joe Spallina Heard That
by dillon77  (2024-04-02 11:17:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...since it was said about his son..

That was a solid dig. I think they were still down big
by Radi-skull  (2024-04-01 12:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And hadnt started chipping away yet. Maybe if they score there instad of a TO the ending is different.

“They started the season with two tomato cans…”
by Otter  (2024-03-31 08:05:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah. I got that vibe too. Also was adamant that ND hadn’t put SU away even when up 5 goals in the 4th. I mean, it’s true but he seemed to be rooting.

Counterpoint: He thought Irish Against Michigan Was Best...
by dillon77  (2024-03-31 12:51:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...lacrosse he'd seen all season. Plus, when comparing Duke to ND, he didn't think Duke had matured as well as he'd expected, while ND -- with help from excellent transfers -- had.

That's Quint: equal air-time snide remarks here and there.
But he'll also give the good vibes when he thinks it's merited.

He has been very complimentary to the Irish
by Otter  (2024-04-01 09:28:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has done great interviews with the Kav brothers. He usually gives us our due. And yes, he said the things you mentioned. But we will have to agree to disagree. I like Quint but it caught my ear, the same as the original poster.

It felt like he had something riding on the outcome. Maybe told some colleague that Cuse was good and they were gonna upset us. No idea, but it felt a bit tilted.

No Worries. We Heard It a Different way...
by dillon77  (2024-04-01 11:26:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. As said, Quint can be an equal-employment zinger to my ears. Never get too comfortable.

The other area I find him lauding the Irish is that being a LI native, he's familiar with the pipelines into the Chaminade school and brings it up all the time.

- Carc, on the other hand, is a huge Irish admirer (esp. for a 'Cuse guy).