Our experience at the Irish Lax Camp this past weekend
by jrdjr84 (2017-07-24 11:34:28)

Let me begin by saying there was so much that was positive: families in our club who were there for the first time felt the magic of the place, and said if the boys couldn't feel inspired to excellence in such an environment, something was wrong. I was blessed to go to mass in the basilica with my 17-year-old son.

No sour grapes here either: our boys lost only one game, in overtime, and had five guys on the all star team, one of whom had a hat trick. His dad is also an ND alum so that was pretty special.

The camp is not easy as the fields were spread all over: Arlotta, Stepan, "West Quad" (old golf course area). Lots of walking on hot humid days. Communication ahead of time could have been better.

That said, I felt compelled to send the following email to the relevant officials in ND security, the alumni office, and the lacrosse program:

Good morning.

As an alumnus (Class of '84), I was embarrassed for my university at the way it treated those of us who brought our sons to compete at the Irish Lacrosse Camp this past weekend.

As one parent in our group put it, the "Parking Nazis" treated us as if "we weren't worthy" to enter Notre Dame. What a shameful disregard for the Christian virtue of hospitality.

The experience at the end of camp around noon Sunday summed it up:

We were among several families that drove to the north gate, a mere block from where our sons were being housed at Keenan Hall, and we were told we had to drive off campus all the way around to access Dorr Road from the highway rather than drive a mere block on an essentially empty campus to where our sons were.

What an insult to those of us who made sacrifices to bring our boys to a camp that was not easy to negotiate, given the far spread of the field all over campus.

When we left campus Sunday, we drove that short block to the north gate. Rationalize it however you want but there was no evidence of any reason for being so rude to guests as to send them so far for so little. It was bureaucratic and officious, and left the distinct impression of institutional arrogance.

Much that could be so positive was tarnished by rude treatment upon arrival and departure.

I would offer additional details if you want them.

My hope is that my alma mater will care enough about people to treat them with more kindness and respect.

Yours in Our Lady and her university,
Jay Dunlap '84

Replies: