Has there ever been discussion of Perkovic playing football?
by Otter (2017-05-07 19:43:43)

Couldn't he do a Shane Walton and play tight end for a 5th year? Of course, he may have no interest. I saw high high school highlight reel for football on YouTube and it's pretty impressive. He was recruited by Michigan and MSU out of H.S.

He's been mentioned as a possible #1 overall draft pick in
by tf86  (2017-05-07 22:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The upcoming MLL draft. I would have to guess that his interest in coming back to play 1 year of football is not high by comparison.

Except I read where $25,000 to $30,000 is top salary in MLL
by NDoggie78  (2017-05-08 11:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most players make between $10,000 and $25,000 and hold other jobs.
I don't think that's enough of a draw to drive any decision. I guess there are potential endorsement contracts, too.

Of course I also don't know if he has a long term future in football. If he came back to play football his senior year it would probably be as a walkon so he would have to pay his own way. So unless it was to get a graduate degree, that would seem unlikely. If he truly had NFL potential in football, you would think Kelly would have already approached him.

I always thought Anders Lee might have been the best QB on campus and he was playing hockey - but at least he had a league to go to that pays $$$$

I think a year of football at ND might yield more
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-05-08 10:52:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

financial gain than being the #1 pick in the MLL draft.

None of those guys make enough just from playing -- to really make it work, they've got to either have a day job, or heavily supplement their playing with endorsements and coaching/clinics. If he thinks he had a chance at getting some real playing time, it would probably make a ton of sense even for a lacrosse career to get the wider exposure that ND football could provide.

Chris Hogan (backup WR for Patriots) played college lacrosse
by tf86  (2017-05-08 12:08:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For Penn State, then transferred to Monmouth as a grad student for football. He was cut by three NFL teams (49ers, Giants, Dolphins) before catching on with the Bills, then moving to the Patriots via free agency.

I suppose it could be done. But it's been a long, circuitous route for Hogan, to say the least.

Oh, I wasn't even talking NFL. Just playing time for ND.
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-05-08 12:45:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The exposure he'd get as an ND football player would help him substantially in obtaining endorsement deals and probably boost his salary and day job prospects while playing in MLL.

The likelihood of significant playing time would be small
by Kayo  (2017-05-10 06:44:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even if he played high school football, he hasn't played the sport in years. He would have to learn a position essentially from scratch. The kinds of contact in each sport are very different, so he'd have to dive into a different S&C program just to be physically ready to play.

Whatever position he would play, there are football scholarship players who have been in the program for years. He would have to pass them on the depth chart; and because the football staff is committed to its own scholarship players first, being the equal of his teammates won't get him significant playing time (if any at all). He would have to be obviously better.

If Perkovic really were interested in football, going to a lower level D1-A or a D1-AA school as a graduate transfer would be the smart move. At that level, he would be a more gifted athlete than almost all of his teammates. He'd still have to adapt in other ways, but his size and athletic ability compared to teammates would make it hard to keep him off the field.

It could help the league as well
by tf86  (2017-05-09 14:27:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So far, the MLL has been content to draw its fanbase largely from youth lacrosse players and their parents. If the league wants to take the next step, it probably has to start drawing more casual fans. Boasting a former ND football player among its ranks could help greatly, not to mention that it would instantly give Perkovic much greater name recognition. And a graduate degree might give Perkovic more earning power at a day job, should he choose to go that route.

Of course, everything above but the last sentence is contingent upon Perkovic, at a minimum, receiving significant playing time in football. Without that, the rest is all for naught.

As an aside, I should note that MLL's two-point FG rule seems to be tailor-made for Perkovic, and in tandem with a year on ND's football squad, could make him the first real MLL superstar.

The tradeoff is that a year playing football at ND probably costs him any shot he has at #1 overall draft pick status. It's doubtful that any MLL team would draft him #1 and then consent to him playing football at ND for a year. And if he withdrew from this year's draft and reapplied the following year, it's doubtful he'd then be the #1 overall pick after a year off from competitive lacrosse.

If the NFL were his ultimate goal, he might be better off to follow Chris Hogan's blueprint and go the grad transfer route to a school whose football team is less competitive than ND's, since college football would essentially be a one-and-done for him.