I'd also ask about keeping possession after shot goes out
by SixShutouts66 (2017-03-12 22:09:11)

In reply to: Face-offs might be going away  posted by molecular

I realize that the team with the player nearest the ball retain possession when an errant shot goes out of bounds. It seems almost all the time that the offense retains possession when this occurs. Would a shot clock that covers the entire length of possession be considered or something else?

That's what they do in the women's game now
by naptown  (2017-03-16 09:22:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I think it should be considered in the men's game. The women have a 90 second possession clock in college that starts immediately when their hey get the ball, no matter where it is. It will reset for certain fouls though. I think it's been a great addition to that game. I think stalls ruin the game and so I was glad to see them add it and hope something like that comes to the men's game.

As for alternating possessions, Navy's old coach, Richie Meade has been lobbying for alternating possessions for quite awhile now to speed up the game. Opponents have said that it hurts the chance of FOGO guys to get college scholarships or even find a way to play. I don't think that's enough of a reason to keep the face off though.

The only thing I'd like to see is the FOGO position go away
by steelhop  (2017-03-17 09:26:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't like the idea of a dedicated middie as a fogo. They should be able to play offense and defense. When Hopkins was dominate from 2001 to 2007, they had stretch of dominate face-off guys that could also play. Harrison, Peyser 1 and Peyser 2.

Agree completely about FOGO guys
by naptown  (2017-03-19 10:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not a fan of that. I don't know how to change it, or if anyone cares enough to even think about changing it, but I think they should be able to play the whole field as well.