Scoring & Rules
- The prediction contest is broken into two sub-contests, one
encompassing the full season and one that includes only the Big East
(including the Big East Tournament).
- Each player's score is simply the total of the individual game
scores. For the Big East contest, each player's worst score will be
thrown out; for the Full Season, the worst two scores. The winner is
the player with the lowest score. At some point (when I get around to
writing that code), bonuses will be awarded for the top three picks in
each game, but not this year.
- Make your pick for each game by replying to a post on the NDNation
Pit by either El Kabong or IrishMace (will likely read "Everybody on
the record..." or "Official Prediction Thread..."). The thread closes
at the scheduled tip-off time for the game. The scores are read from
the thread by a script, so please observe the following guidelines
- Post your pick in the subject line of the message. The body of
the post is great for insightful or witty comments, but scores in
the body will not be read.
- List ND's score first even if you are picking ND to lose.
- Humorous nicknames for the teams are encouraged, but please
refrain from using digits in your chosen nicknames as that confuses
the script (which simply grabs the first two numbers it finds).
- If you change your mind, please utilize the Edit
Post function instead of re-posting or replying to your
- Obvious Ditka-esque picks (ND, a hunnert an' fitty, WVU, tree) will
be ignored so as to not screw up missing-a-game penalties.
- Posts will be sanity checked before being processed by the script
to correct those that didn't follow these guidelines, but the less
time I spend on that, the better.
- Your score for each game is the sum of the following
- Margin of Victory: 1 point for each point your pick is off from the
- Example: ND wins by 5. You pick ND to win by 7 = 2
points; you pick ND to lose by 3 = 8 points.
- Absolute Score: 1/5 of a point for each point your picks are off
from the actual score. The total is rounded down.
- Example: ND wins 88-76, you picked 81-60.
(88 - 81) + (76 - 60) = 7 + 16 =
23 / 5 = 4.6 = 4
- Picking a Loser: If you pick the wrong team to win, 10
- Bonuses: For picking (nearly) exact scores, take some points off
- -1 point (each) for picking a team's score within 1 point of
- -2 points for picking one team's score exactly.
- -5 points (total) for picking both scores exactly.
- If you miss a game, your score will be equal to the worst score
for that week plus 50% or 10 points, whichever is less. If you miss
eight games, you're disqualified from the Full Season contest (but not
necessarily from the Big East contest). If you miss four Big East
games, you're out of that contest.
If you have any questions, or if your scores appear incorrect,
Good luck, and GO IRISH!