Post Reply to Back Room

This is not a vent board or any other kind of therapy. Before you hit the POST button, ask yourself if your contribution will add to the level of discussion going on.

Important notes on articles:

Handle:
Password:
Subject:

HTTP Link (optional):

Poster's Email (optional):

Post being replied to

Help pick my new TV by Domer01

Back in the market again and after some initial reseach could use the collective wisdom of the all-knowing Backroom. The general parameters:

Size: The wall on which it'll eventually be hung is 57" wide. That pretty much limits me to a screen size of 55" (51" width) or smaller.

Price: Goal is to stay under $1,000 sticker price, but may be able to go up to $1200 if absolutely necessary.

Type: I don't have a strong preference plasma vs. LED, but personally think the plasmas have a slightly better picture quality.

Extras: 3D isn't necessary - nice if it's there but not a feature I'm willing to pay extra for. The SMART functionality (built in WiFi with Netflix, MLB, YouTube, etc) again is nice but not a deciding factor.

Additional info: The room does have two large windows on the adjacent wall and gets a lot of natural light, so washout is a legitimate concern.

I'm think the leader at the moment is the Panasonic 50" ST50 model ($989) at Best Buy, although I'm tempted by the 55" model in the same line ($1120). It's CNET's Editor's Choice Award Winner for 2012 plasma TVs.

The other option is the Vizio 55" LED from Costco ($850). This one is the slightly bigger size has the more attractive price, but I'm concerned re Vizio vice Panasonic as a brand, the LED vice plasma picture quality, that this one only has a 120Hz refresh rate where the new ones are up to 600Hz, and that this one doesn't have a light filter for bright rooms like mine.

Anyone want to weigh in on either of these two options or recommend another model in this ballpark that I should look at? Thanks!