Post Reply to Back Room

This is not a vent board or any other kind of therapy. Before you hit the POST button, ask yourself if your contribution will add to the level of discussion going on.

Important notes on articles:

Handle:
Password:
Subject:

HTTP Link (optional):

Poster's Email (optional):

Post being replied to

I realize that. by goldenchild

I can't argue that equal treatment for same-sex relationships is a natural human right (I know many people have tried this argument and it gets swatted down back here every time).

All I can say is that I believe it is negative and harmful to society to have the majority pass laws restricting people who are different from them from having the same rights and opportunities. I see no good reason for it. I think it comes from a legacy of fear and intolerance that has been built into religious belief and I see no reason to value protecting the status quo at the expense of doing real harm to real people and allowing the persistence of a cultural belief that people who are gay are inferior, not like us, not worthy of the same legitimacy. I think we are better off as a society if we do away with discrimination based on sexual orientation even though I don't benefit directly.