WHo had the best first At-BAT in History?
by TheRC (2024-03-28 15:41:11)

rephrased, Which player's First MLB Plate Appearance was the most impressive?

Criteria:
Result
Situation
Caliber of Pitcher faced

I'll nominate Will Clark hitting a solo Homerun off Nolan Ryan at the Astrodome. Interestingly enough, Clark hit more homeruns off Nolan Ryan than he did off any other pitcher.

Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a grand slam on his first pitch.
by voidoid  (2024-03-28 15:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure who it was against, would have been 2005 or 2006 probably and he was on Cleveland. I only remember this because the Padres traded for him right after the season ended.

Edit: there's a Wikipedia page with the list of guys who hit first AB homers. Four players have hit grand slams; Kouzmanoff hit his off Edison Volquez.

A feat repeated by Daniel Nava 4 years later *
by Cheg80  (2024-03-29 19:37:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My favorite on that list is Mark Saccomanno
by sprack  (2024-03-29 15:36:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think his brother Bob was a friend of Cosmo Kramer's.

As an Astros fan, he's quickly faded from memory. *
by TWO  (2024-03-30 20:11:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jonny LeMaster hit an inside-the-parker. *
by voidoid  (2024-03-30 11:57:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post