There's a lot going on here
by Charlie Hough (2024-03-23 10:50:30)

In reply to: what are the odds Ohtani is in some serious deep shit? *  posted by kdh325

It's constantly evolving. As far as I understand everything:

- The interpreter (Mizuhara) admitted to being a horrible gambler (no kidding) and said he would play poker and bet on soccer, basketball, and football, but not baseball. These were illegal bets, not DraftKings or something like that.

- The original explanation given by Ohtani's team was he bailed his friend out. They then changed this to Mizuhara was stealing from Ohtani and Ohtani was unaware the money was leaving his accounts.

- I feel like they made this change when they realized that Ohtani paying off these debts is still illgeal. Not a good look.

- This change of tune makes little sense. Ohtani may have just signed a $700mm contract, but it's almost all deferred. He's not exactly poor, but he should have noticed $4.5mm missing. Plus why would his interpreter have access? Why wouldn't his bank have alerted him? My wife is a financial advisor for high net worth individuals - this amount of money would have set off all sorts of alerts and red flags.

So I guess the three big questions: which explanation is true?; did Mizuhara in fact not bet on baseball?; and finally, do we know for sure it was Mizuhara betting and not Ohtani?

MLB and Ohtani desperately want this to go away, but I suspect it will not.

Replies: