I will have to go back and look at the info I had...
by Kbyrnes (2024-01-21 02:11:10)

In reply to: I don’t think people understand the Sox ownership structure  posted by sprack

...which is now about 10 years old. I understand that as manager of the GP entity he holds a minority stake but has management control, and that there are various limited partners. In any case, the net profit from their collective ownership has to go somewhere, and as I've noted before, the lease for the stadium is very, very favorable for the White Sox. Officially, like many MLB clubs, they say they lose money, but I find this hard to believe in any practical sense. I would guess it's more like someone who owns rental property, like a 16-flat. On your tax return, up top, you have gross rental income and then any miscellaneous income (like laundry or tenant services). Then you have operating expenses related to the real estate, including debt service. For most owners there is gross profit at this point; but then you get to take depreciation, which doesn't literally take cash out of your pocket for the year in question, but for many smaller-scale real estate owners it helps them declare a loss for tax purposes.