That one I'm not worried about
by sprack (2024-01-18 15:58:56)
Edited on 2024-01-18 16:01:54

In reply to: If it does come to fruition  posted by dwjm3

The whole facelift came about because of the teal seat monstrosity. They were painfully aware of it.

A close friend of mine happens to be a friend of Mike Reinsdorf. Once I was with my friend at a Sox game, pre-renovation, and Reinsdorf the younger stopped by. (I'd never met him before and have met him only once since) My friend asked him about the renovation plans. I asked "what renovation plans"? He said there were renovation plans pending on securing funding that was in the works (which turned out to be the US Cellular naming rights). Reinsdorf, who was in business with the stadium designers who ended up contracting with a number of ballparks that have been built since, went through a litany of things that were done wrong in the original design.

I specifically remember him listing:

1. Too many rows in the upper deck. We're going to remove at least ten of them and put on a roof (happened in the redesign)
2. The seats are the wrong color. They need to be black, the teal is awful. (happened in the redesign)
3. The two rows of skyboxes messed up the upper deck, pushing it too high.
It was then compounded by the club seats, another bad idea. There should have been one row under the upper deck and the second row at the top of the upper deck, like almost all stadiums do now. The problem was it was the first "new design" major league stadium so there weren't better ones to copy, because they saw the mistakes in new Comiskey and so didn't repeat them. And obviously nothing could have been done about it in the renovation.

There were other things I don't recall specifically but those were the main ones. They won't repeat those mistakes.