NFL trivia for most playoff wins and losses.
by G.K.Chesterton (2024-01-18 14:08:01)
Edited on 2024-01-18 14:09:42

What two teams are tied for the most playoff *wins* and what two teams are tied for the most playoff *losses*?

The answers can be found at the link. Hint: these are four different teams.

My guesses
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-18 21:25:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wins - Patriots and Steelers

Losses - Cowboys and Dolphins

The formula for losses seems straightforward - appearances minus championships. I am pretty damn sure on the Cowboys. Dolphins definitely would have been there 10-15 years ago, but with fewer playoff appearances lately they may have been surpassed.

For wins - Patriots have fewer appearances than a lot of teams, but have advanced all the way through expanded playoffs so many times that I feel they have to be there. Steeler I feel have to be in this for either wins or losses, and I picked wins.

I thought about the 49ers, but they didn't do much for the first 15 years or so of the Super Bowl era, and have had some droughts since Young left.

Your logic is correct for Patriots and Cowboys and almost
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-01-18 22:09:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

correct for the Steelers, who are just one victory behind the Patriots and *the other team.* Of the top 12 teams in victories, six of them were in the playoffs this year. The Patriots are 15 games over .500 in the playoffs.

On the other hand, the Dolphins are tied for 9th in losses with the Niners and the Titans (!).

Dolphins imprinted on my mind as a perennial playoff team
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-18 22:30:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

based on life such as it was when I was growing up. For the same reason, I briefly considered guessing the Raiders, until I concluded that the last couple/few decades have been too unkind to the Silver and Black.

Guesses.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2024-01-18 14:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For most wins: Patriots and Steelers.

For most losses: Cowboys and Steelers. (I know the Steelers can't be the answer to both, but I'm hoping they're the answer to one of them.)

Your two non-Steelers answers are correct.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-01-18 14:45:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Steelers are tied for 3rd-place for most playoff wins as well as most playoff losses.

Packers or 49ers for wins...Bills for losses? *
by DakotaDomer  (2024-01-18 15:16:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Packers are correct, but not the other two.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-01-18 16:35:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Niners are tied for 3rd for playoff wins. The Bills are tied for 15th for playoff losses with the WFT, Raiders, and the Bears.

My other guess for most losses.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2024-01-18 22:46:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like the Bills, the Vikings have lost four Super Bowls. The were in the playoffs almost every year in the 90s and then off and on most of this century. (Who can forget Favre doing what Favre does best?)

You are correct and I'm ashamed I didn't think of it
by DakotaDomer  (2024-01-19 08:47:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Bills have racked up the numbers when I paid attention to the NFL but the Vikings have been consistently in and out of the playoffs forever.

That's why the Vikings fans suffer more than anyone
by Nihilist in Golf Pants  (2024-01-20 12:13:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For most of my life they have been a contender and i am old. Team's like Tampa Bay suck forever them have a great year and win a title. The Vikings have had some legendary teams that couldn't ever close the deal.

If rather be a Detroit or Cleveland fan and have my Sundays free from October onward.