Twitter feed keeps referencing an investigation into Turf
by TheRC (2024-01-11 12:28:37)

My Twitter feed keeps referencing an investigation into the Astroturf at Veteran's Stadium being linked in the brain cancer (glioblastoma) deaths of Tug McGraw, John Oates, Ken Brett, David West, John Vukovich, and Darren Daulton.

ANyone else heard anything about this?

Possibly just coincidence
by Flann  (2024-01-17 17:53:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There has been some discussion of the PFAS chemicals in artificial turf may be a factor, although there is no clear scientific link. I recall in the 1980s there were several NY Giants who had died of cancer and worries that it was connected to the turf at the old Giants Stadium (or maybe more likely the toxic sludge regularly dumped in the Meadowlands before the sports complex was built)

Sounds like BS to me
by sprack  (2024-01-11 17:24:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ken Brett played one year for the Phillies. Johnny Oates played 2 years.

The fact that the incidence rate is 3 times the national
by baronbutler  (2024-01-16 18:22:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

average does not seem particularly statistically significant, though I'm certainly not an expert. It just seems like it could just as easily be blamed by coincidence.

It’s how junk science gets started
by sprack  (2024-01-17 11:25:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take something statistically insignificant and unprovable and blow it out of proportion. It’s exactly how the anti-vax movement got started.

Fortunately in this particular case Veterans Stadium no longer exists so no mass hysteria will result from this.

Similar to a point I made in old thread on this topic
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-17 09:24:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The thread is linked. My post “so 3x2=6” includes some amateur statistical gymnastics,
FWIW.

Wasn't there something similar with women's soccer goalies?
by MUddled  (2024-01-11 13:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the theory there was that they were diving facedown more than other soccer players and would ingest some of the tiny pellets that got kicked up in the process. I'm not sure exactly what became of that story.

edit: Looks like the Philadelphia Inquirer did an investigation and some articles were posted in the wake of that last March: 6 Former Phillies Players Died of Brain Cancer — and Dangerous Chemicals in Turf Could Be to Blame: Report