Good tidings from Fantasy Sports Past through 2023
by bizdomer09 (2023-12-31 21:39:16)

As we enter 2024, now that all previous posts have been RomperRoomed away, let us take a moment to note collective knowledge, insights, and debates gathered here through 2023. I'll begin with a few:

1. We shall begin with a point of unanimity that unites all Chicago sportsfans north and south... Reinsdorf sucks.

2. A bunch of guys did a bunch of steroids and hit a bunch of homeruns, and a bunch of pitchers did steroids and then threw baseballs really hard even though many of them were old. We have many strong opinions on the merits of their stats and HOF-worthiness that we gather here to rehash every few weeks or so. So far in these hundreds of discussions we have established the following points: Molly says none of it matters because Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player who ever baseballed and that ends the discussion. JT says words to the effect of - you all are a bunch of nerds - guys did steroids and PEDS, always have, still do, always will... who cares, get over it. The rest of us say yeah okay so guys did greenies in the 70s but that was pretty ridiculous with the steroids there for a while and maybe Luis Gonzalez wasn't really nearly as good as he looked that one year. And then once more Molly says none of this matters because Barry Bonds was the greatest baseballer of all time QED end of discussion. Okay, I think that sums up all of the countless steroids discussions. Please let me know if I missed anything or mischaracterized any of the key points.

3. A bunch of guys were mediocre at playing baseball but somehow were able to play regularly for a really long time. Somewhere in the ether of our fantasy sports archives an account exists of who these men were. And there was also a detailed account of criteria for entry into this Hall of Sustained Mediocrity that has also been wiped clean. That is actually fine and good, in the spirit of mediocrity. We shall start afresh with the only guy I remember for sure, Mike Jorgensen, who also for the record per Cards86 was not funny and not memorable in the clubhouse. Sounds pretty damn mediocre. I would also like to nominate Jamie Quirk as the second entrant. Now we have our new HOSM with an inaugural class of 2 members. Add away if you feel so inspired. Criteria: someone here vouches for lifelong mediocrity of a guy who got a lot of innings or ABs, without being a top-50 ish player at any point in his career. If anyone presents a strong argument against, he is removed. Onward. We shall rebuild the HOSM one mediocre nominee at a time.

4. We share a bunch of trivia here because we get bored. About once a year or so, someone makes a post to the effect of: hey so when did this become the trivia board? Then this post is met with about 9 responses to the effect of... "yeah, so?" Then trivia goes quiet for a while until our impulse to nerd out on trivia regathers itself, and we start afresh. I for one think we need to get that back in gear again after we were temporarily grumped off trivia a few weeks ago.

5. Eff the Dodgers. We root for many teams, but I think on that point we can all agree, except for the 2 bona fide Dodger fans here... I forget who they are. With the exception of those 2, we will all root for the Dodgers to flame out in the playoffs yet again, as they do every full season in all of our adult lifetimes (not counting Sprack) except for when Gibson hit his homerun and was shown pumping his fist while Dodger fans could be seen driving away from the stadium beyond the outfield.

6. We Cub fans are many and we will make every post that is even tangentially related to baseball somehow about the Cubs, as evidenced by me right here. Apologies in advance as this will continue into 2024 and beyond.

Please add to this list, if there is anything else that we should note from Fantasy Sports through the end of 2023.

Looking ahead... Cheers, and Happy New Year.

Replies: