Schwarber is back in the bigs
by Jvan (2017-07-06 12:41:17)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Hit .343 with four homers in 11 games at AAA.

Pitching seems to be a bigger problem.
by OITLinebacker  (2017-07-07 08:47:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't watched the cubs much this season (I'm not a cubs fan), but when I have seen them on TV, it seems like the starting pitching fell off a cliff and caught a dumpster on fire.

the best explanation for these woes
by bizdomer09  (2017-07-07 17:02:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that I've seen: "What’s wrong with the Cubs is all the deals we fans made with the devil during that rain delay are coming due." (from comments at linked article). I think that about explains it, and I am guilty of contributing.

pick your poison
by Otis  (2017-07-07 09:31:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are 9/15 in the NL in runs scored, 6/15 in ERA but 12/15 in quality starts, and 13/15 in fielding percentage.

Total systemic collapse. Or just a really good hangover.

Fowler drove the offense the last 2 years. He had a .390
by 1978Irish  (2017-07-07 10:26:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OBP and often would see 8-10 pitches an at bat. Schwarber didn't come close to duplicating this. I think the Cubs greatly underestimated how important he was to the offense. Fowler has also had a drop off, but his OBP is still .330 which is a lot better than the other guys the Cubs tried at leadoff (except for the 10-12 game Rizzo experiment.

The starting pitching has had a huge drop off. Maybe the innings from the last 2 years have caught up with them. Lester, Arietta and Hendricks didn't miss many starts in 2015 and 2016 and pitched another 16 or 17 games in the playoffs. Maybe they have tired arms. I don't know.

The fielding has been suspect too. They just are not playing good baseball.

Unless something changes the Cubs are going to miss the playoffs. Even if they make the playoffs, they aren't playing well enough to beat anyone in a series.

They should have moved him in the offseason
by Groundhog  (2017-07-07 01:30:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After his performance in the World Series, they could have gotten a king's ransom for him.

He would be a perfect DH, and I think he would really excel in that role.

He caught a fly ball today and then it fell out of his hand
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-07-06 18:30:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

while trying to throw it back in during today's game. Just rusty, I guess.

The PCL never was a pitchers' league.
by cujays96  (2017-07-06 15:57:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a big "we'll see".

I hope he plays better. It is possible he is a AAAA player *
by 1978Irish  (2017-07-06 14:30:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Votto hit .212 for two months last year.
by tdiddy07  (2017-07-06 16:06:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And then .400 for the second half of the season.

Schwarber was producing as a plus MLB player his rookie year. He produced even better in the post season that year and last year, which, although a small sample, comes against cherry-picked superior pitching.

Although he could be like Todd Frazier. Best OPS in his first full year. Had a worse year next year but still about a league average player despite low batting average. Then became a productive all star for a couple years and has been a better than average player.

I'm not particularly worried about Schwarber.

Votto is a career .313 hitter in 11 seasons and only 1
by 1978Irish  (2017-07-06 18:57:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

season under .297. He can have a bad half season. We have no idea how good or bad Schwarber is.

So which small sample player is he?
by dfw  (2017-07-06 18:44:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His rookie year of 70ish games where no team had a chance to figure him out.

This year of 65ish games where he couldn't figure any teams out.

The playoffs where he had 15 games and was great.

Or somewhere in between.

He is just finishing up a full year, so who the heck knows. I am guessing somewhere in between.

That is the question. We don't know. If the Cubs are
by 1978Irish  (2017-07-06 18:55:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

going to stumble around and finish 3rd in their division and out of the play offs - a possibility based on their play so far - they could let him get 500 at bats and we might have a better idea on his future.

If they make a move and compete for the division title then it is hard to play a guy who is struggling especially when the rest of the line up is struggling.

In 2016, the Cubs could play Hayward and his .200 average since (1) most of the other players were hitting, (2) the starting pitching was great, and (3) his defense was a plus.

None of that fits with 2017 Schwarber. The starting pitching is weak. Most of the players are hitting .260. Schwarber's defense is a negative.

The Rich Hill of position players? *
by cujays96  (2017-07-06 15:58:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please do not have him lead off
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 13:56:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know it only matters once a game, but he never looked comfortable in the role. Schwarber hits and runs like a #5 or #6 hitter.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.