Trivia questions regarding pitchers and home runs.
by G.K.Chesterton (2017-07-05 18:57:48)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

(Totally stolen from an ESPN Stats article posted recently.)

1. Who is the only pitcher to hit two grand slams in one game (and holds the record of nine (9) RBIs for a pitcher)?

2. Who was the last pitcher to hit two HRs in one game?

3. Who was the last pitcher to hit three HRs in one game? (Hint: the year was 1942.)

4. Who is the last MLB pitcher to hit a grand slam?

5. Who is the only pitcher to hit a grand slam in a World Series?

6. Who was the last AL pitcher to hit a grand slam? (Hint: this player is still active.)

7. Who hit two HRs and threw a no-hitter in the same game? (Probably the best known of these types of questions.)

All answers can be found at the link, so I won't be posting them here.

And another: who came in for the top of the 10th...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-07-06 22:11:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and then broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the 10th by hitting a home run to win his own game?

Hint: It was over 50 years ago, and I saw it on TV in a house at 101st & Van Vlissingen.

My guess is Ken what's-his-face for the Cubs, but he was
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-07-08 23:24:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a starter so that's a lousy guess.

guess
by art fern  (2017-07-07 10:41:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm going to guess Gary Peters because he was one of the best hitters on the Sox, who were know for pitching and defense.

Story sounded good, so I had to look that one up.
by Father Nieuwland  (2017-07-06 22:43:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Quite a game for that pitcher (box score and play by play linked below).

Entered a tie game in the top of the tenth with one out and the bases loaded. Picked Willie Mays off second base. Then struck out the batter to end the inning.

Then led off the bottom of the tenth by hitting the game winning home run.

Someone buy that man a beer.

Guesses
by art fern  (2017-07-06 16:30:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Tony Cloninger
2. Madison Bumgarner
3. Bob Lemon
4. Madison Bumgarner
5. Ken Holtzman
6. Madison Bumgarner - If I keep on guessing MB, I am bound to get one right.
7. Rick Wise

and then there's Jon Simkins
by kdh325  (2017-07-06 13:44:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who, while pitching for MacAlaster College of St. Paul, once gave up a homer and hit a homer in the same game at the Homer Dome. Jon is the son of my best man at my wedding.

2 and 4
by No Right Turn on Red  (2017-07-06 10:45:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are both Madison Bumgarner.

by Xaeryne  (2017-07-06 10:04:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Felix Hernandez

by Slotts  (2017-07-05 22:03:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tony Cloninger

5 and 7
by Cartwright  (2017-07-05 19:12:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

5. Dave McNally
7. Rick Wise

1 was/is
by kdh325  (2017-07-06 13:40:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tony Cloninger

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.