Nice response to adversity. Down 5 after 2. WTF
by Section 12 (2017-06-28 19:54:12)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Perhaps the pajama parties has worn thin.

They need another starter and to get healthy. *
by ndroman21  (2017-06-30 10:00:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dealing for another starter - what's the strategy?
by bizdomer09  (2017-06-30 18:10:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't kept up with what the options are that are out there. I will say that based on the quality of this team and the rest of the division (they're not that good - not good enough that one guy will make them a playoff favorite - but they should still win the division and sneak in for a puncher's chance in the playoff derby), I don't want to see them cash in a couple of long term chips for a short term rental. At that point their minor league talent surplus would be left pretty low for what I perceive to be little increase in their chances for this season. Last year, based on the overall strength of the team and their one clear flaw, I liked cashing in a shiny chip for Chapman, and it likely made the difference in the playoffs (notwithstanding Maddon's game 6 and 7 mismanagement of Aroldis). This year, such an acquisition - this time for a quality starter rental - might increase their chances of winning from, say, 10 to 12 percent.

I'd rather see them pursue one of two paths:
1) Be aggressive and unload several quality chips for a cost-controlled starter (Sonnie Gray??? meh, unless the scouts think his arm is getting stronger again beyond what the numbers show. Who else might be on the market?) that can help them beyond 2017. Then spend on a quality free agent to help rebuild their rotation in the winter, or...
2) Be conservative and make a relatively low-cost deal for a competent #4/5 who can eat innings and bounce out Lackey and his 5.88 FIP from the playoff rotation (and full rotation once Hendricks returns). This should help nudge them over the top for the division, and improve them a bit for October.

The middle pathway - dealing just some of their quality chips for a quality 2 or 3 type rental (assuming that is an available option) is unappealing. Such a deal would yield a minimal gain in their chances for this season, at the cost of pinching the window and likelihood for this team to be a consistent playoff team in coming years.

And then on the other hand they could sell.
by bizdomer09  (2017-07-01 22:49:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Put Arrieta on the market. 40-41 at the halfway point. Inspiring.

Don't worry Cubs fans
by irishboy89  (2017-06-29 13:11:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's always last year

Well said. Just think if Maddon actually blew the 7th game
by sprack  (2017-06-29 16:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like he tried so hard to do.

I am sincerely glad he didn't so I wouldn't have to hear about it incessantly the rest of my life.

He would've gotten fired. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-07-01 12:34:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could've lived with it
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-06-29 17:37:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. Now, you just made me think for the 222nd day in a row about Santana and Kipnis (just) missing in the 9th.

It's a pretty weak team
by Chuck84  (2017-06-29 10:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lackey cannot possibly remain in that rotation. He is a gas can. His FIP is highest of any starter in the league.

He has three rings from three different teams -- good for him. Now, please John, just retire.

He has to be the favorite to be DFA'd next. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-07-01 10:33:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they'll likely still flop into the playoffs with 82-85 wins
by bizdomer09  (2017-06-29 12:12:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's assuming that Milwaukee can't sustain this for another half season, and no charge from STL or Pit.

From there once in the playoffs, in 5-7 game series, I suppose anything can happen. But I most certainly would not bet on them against WSN or LAD, both of whom they would likely have to beat. And ARI and COL have been better as well.

Until recently I've been saying that they'll get it together, light a spark, find their true level, and play at a .600 or so level for the rest of the season. I think I've said at least half dozen times after a good stretch of 3-5 games that "okay, now here it comes, they're turning the corner". I've downgraded those expectations considerably in the last month or so. Now I think their true level is what they've been now for the entire first half.

I think he should be replaced by James Shields
by sprack  (2017-06-29 12:07:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who I'd offer for just a spare tire and a bottle of Roquefort dressing.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.