Connor McDavid signed for 8 years at $13.25m per.
by voidoid (2017-06-28 13:16:28)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Figures to be about 17% of the cap when the deal kicks in for 2018-19.

Yowza. *
by captaineclectic  (2017-06-28 18:51:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And certain people in the Edmonton media don't like the deal
by dentonfreeman  (2017-06-30 11:54:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That deal is pretty much the easiest decision Chiarelli will ever make in Edmonton. Well, maybe second easiest next to drafting McDavid first overall.

Well, it beats Peter Pinhead's Russell fixation *
by BIGSKYND  (2017-06-30 15:21:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eh
by CanadianKid  (2017-06-30 14:06:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's an overpayment considering most of the years covered would be RFA years. Under the current CBA, I think Tarasenko and Ekblad had the highest AAV's out of ELC at $7.5.

It's a higher percentage of the cap than Crosby's second contract, which was given at a time when everyone (rightly) assumed the cap would consistently rise. I'm not sure the cap is going to go up that much over the life of this deal.

Between the Lucic and Russell contracts, the Reinhart trade, selling Eberle at his lowest point, even buying out Pouliot after one bad year...I'm not too concerned about an Oilers dynasty.

I know no one uses offer sheets lest they incur the wrath of the old boys club, but there are a few teams that I think should explore that with Draisaitl.

Yeah, Edmonton totally should have
by dentonfreeman  (2017-06-30 22:50:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

held their best player in more than three decades and the NHL's current (and future, barring injury) best player to the fucking fire because he's an RFA. This contract is 100% what McDavid deserved. If I was an Edmonton fan, I'd be more worried about his next contract than his current, 100% deserved, contract.

So he deserves more, right now, than Crosby Malkin & Kane?
by TCIrish03  (2017-07-03 15:27:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Captaineclectic and CanadianKid are right.

Why so serious?

He probably deserves more than Crosby and Malkin
by captaineclectic  (2017-07-03 17:35:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who have artificially depressed AAVs because of back-diving contracts that would make no sense for McDavid. He's also a better and more important player than Malkin.

Edmonton probably should've tried to use the Toews/Kane contracts as comparables and urged him to leave room for Draisaitl that way. They presumably did try, and failed to pull it off.

Watching Toews at $10M....
by BIGSKYND  (2017-07-04 10:55:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

probably convinces McDavid that his ceiling should be higher. I get it that he's played one full year but I don't think anybody doubts that this kid is easily "generational". Denton also makes a legit point about what he means to Edmonton in the lengthening post-No. 99 era. No doubt that he needs to have a few like Messier and Kurri around him, but I'm not sure Draisaitl should command $$ which is rendered "undoable" by this contract.

Nice strawman
by CanadianKid  (2017-07-01 13:08:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There might be a middle ground between roasting him and giving him whatever he desires. A canny GM could pull that off, but it's no surprise Chiarelli could not.

I'm with you
by captaineclectic  (2017-07-01 14:38:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's Chiarelli going to pay Draisaitl now?

Yzerman got Kucherov for ~$14 million over three years.
by baloo88  (2017-07-01 14:21:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure, there's a certain psychological safety in locking down a transcendent talent like McDavid for the long term, but I have trouble believing that he would have cost much more three years from now than what he just got.

Good for McDavid though. He deserves the money.

There is an argument to made about the ability to pay the
by voidoid  (2017-06-30 12:44:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

supporting cast. But I agree with you, he's worth the years and the money, and if the Oilers can develop talent from the farm system and find value in free agency they've got a window of opportunity.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.