Cubs win / Sox lose in similar fashion
by Jvan (2017-06-26 23:52:38)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Cubs almost blow a 5-run lead in the ninth. Sox almost overcome a 5-run deficit.

At least the mighty A's are finally out of town
by sprack  (2017-06-27 11:51:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Over the weekend, the Sox made them look like the Yankees - the '27 Yankees.

I was at the game on Saturday. The day started great with the retirement of Mark Buehrle's number. But it went downhill soon after the ump yelled "Play ball!"

James Shields had quite the day. He recorded his 2,000th strikeout (passing on the major league all-time list another former White Sox pitcher with a retired number, Billy Pierce). Now that is a genuine major accomplishment. Too bad 99% of the strikeouts were for other teams. But more importantly, before that landmark K, he set a major league modern era record by giving up the first career home run of THREE different A's hitters, including one player's second major league hit.

That's James Shields who is the second highest paid athlete in Chicago, only a mere $2 million lower Dwyane Wade's $24 million. That's per terms of the RCTFOA, the Reinsdorf Family Charitable Trust For Over-the-hill Athletes.

$11M of Shield's $21M is coming from the Padres
by mjmcend  (2017-06-27 14:12:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So it isn't all out of Jerry's pocketbook.

That is true. And the Padres view it as money well spent *
by sprack  (2017-06-27 16:49:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Padres are paying $38m to their current roster
by voidoid  (2017-06-27 15:59:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and $52m to players they sent away.

Shades of the Notre Dame Athletics Department *
by sprack  (2017-06-27 16:50:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That 9th inning in Washington was brutal to watch
by Chuck84  (2017-06-27 10:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So damned lucky to get out with a win. Rondon had such a wonderful opportunity to reassert himself as the reliever he was in 2015. But, No ... just had to f*** around and put pressure on Davis. And Davis didn't little to distinguish himself as well. Even the last strikeout was an adventure. A dropped third strike is always precarious with Contreras. Has to throw triple digits to first when he has all day. They screwed that up in STL earlier this year.

I should be happier about a road win against a good team, but I can barely stand watching this team this year. The pitching is coming around, but they can't hit in the clutch to save their lives and the defense has gone to hell in a handbasket. Baez made two remarkable plays last night. He is a tremendous talent. But, when a routine grounder is hit to him, it is always fraught with drama.

They played a very good game until the 9th...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-06-27 10:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...That's when I thought "it's time for me to read 'A Comedy of Errors' again."

As Maddon has said, they are playing young at the plate. Swinging strike 3 for Contreras in the top of the 9th (with LaStella on 2nd) was about a foot inside and hit the ground by his feet--he almost fell over swinging at it.

Davis's outing was peculiar--he's been pretty good this year. After the last out it looked like he cussed into his glove coming off the mound.

I'd put the over/under for K's tonight at
by Section12  (2017-06-27 14:48:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

14. I'll take the over.

Davis is best when he starts a clean inning.
by OITLinebacker  (2017-06-27 11:43:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a Royals fan I firmly believe Davis is an amazing closer and before that he was a lights out setup man. His only weakness is that he likes to come in at the beginning of an inning and not inherit base runners. I think that some of that has to do with how he started to prep and get ready as a setup man for Holland, when KC had the lights out H-D-H 7-8-9th innings. He nearly always started warming up with over half an innings worth of time, came in to some warm up pitches without base runners or pressure. It carried over to his role as a closer to some extent as well. He generally pitches best when he doesn't have to worry about giving up a hit for an RBI.

I think that's fair
by Chuck84  (2017-06-27 12:04:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Among the many insufficiencies on this team presently, Davis is about as far down the list as I can imagine. He was an excellent acquisition last offseason. While he does not pose the intimidation that Chapman did, I believe the Cubs have a better closer in Davis.

Your clean-inning point seems pretty accurate. It seems, in a situation like last night, he needs to take things to the edge of the cliff before he knuckles down and finishes.

He had no command of his curve last night
by Kayo  (2017-06-27 17:30:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...or is it a slider? How about his breaking ball.

Regardless, it was sharp; but he had no idea where it was going. That made it very hard to put hitters away because the Nats were very disciplined until Zimmerman chased strike three for the final out.

Davis usually has good command of the strike zone with both pitches, so I won't worry unless I see more of the same.

Davis has not blown a save yet this year. I don't think last
by 1978Irish  (2017-06-27 12:53:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

night was a save opportunity. Too big of a lead. It was probably Davis worst performance of the year.

A lot of closers want to start an inning. They also tend to screw up in non save situations. I think a lot of it is mental.

You are correct -- Davis didn't get a save
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-06-27 14:01:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Cubs were up 5-1 with a man on 1st and one out when Davis came in. The Cubs had a 98% chance of winning when Davis entered, but that dropped to 75% before he got the last out.

Many closers struggle in non-save situations and when they enter in the middle of an inning. Davis did both last night.

it felt more like a coin flip at best
by bizdomer09  (2017-06-27 14:25:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

once Harper reached 3rd, with Zimmerman batting. I thought once we made it through Harper-Murphy-Zimmerman-Rendon in the 8th, we were in the clear. I do not enjoy that Washington middle of the lineup. I also do not enjoy their rotation, at least 1-3. I do like their bullpen.

Chapman was the same way.
by OCND  (2017-06-27 13:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Totally mental. Had to have a clean start or was really bad.

It's strange but likely true to think of Game 7, 8th/9th...
by Kbyrnes  (2017-06-27 18:47:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in that way. Chapman comes into the 8th with 2 outs, man on first, succeeding Lester. Gives up a run scoring double then a two-run homer to tie the game. Finally gets the 3rd out. Opens the 9th "clean" and sets the Indians down 1-2-3.

There should be some way to get pitchers to think of an inherited runner the way you're supposed to facing a water hole on the golf course: imagine it's not there (while giving it some due, a tough mental trick).

Bigger issue there was too much usage and throwing 97.
by Tdiddy07  (2017-07-02 18:05:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After game 6, I figured he was used too much. And I said he'd come in game 7, throw 97, and someone is going to homer off of him. That was his MO when he'd throw three days in a row. Couldn't maintain velocity with that workload. He was always very hittable when he was throwing 97.

Cubs/Nats turned into a neat little late June affair.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-06-27 00:59:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very playoffy.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.