today's mostly worthless trivia
by kdh325 (2017-03-17 13:57:29)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

in 1970, this player was the first-ever victim of the base-out cycle (he was thrown out at home, picked off third, forced out at 2nd, and thrown out at first on a ground out.)

Wild guess
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-17 14:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pete Rose. Whomever did it reached base at least three times in that game.

I was going to say Marvelous Marv Thorneberry
by jt  (2017-03-19 00:17:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but with the hint I'm going with Lou Pinella.

Marvelous pulled off a good one agaist the Cubs...
by BIGSKYND  (2017-03-20 10:16:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hits a booming shot into the right center gap on the Polo Grounds and lumbers around the bases into third. Ernie Banks at 1B calmly calls for the ball, steps on first, and Marv is called out. Stengel comes charging out of the dugout and one of the umps tries to calm him down by saying "forget it Casey, he missed second too". To which Casey responds "well I know he touched third because I see him f'g standing on it."

I think I'd heard that story before, except it omitted
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-20 17:39:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the part about third base, which is the cherry on top.

Those in my age bracket are too young to remember seeing Throneberry play, but we were introduced to him in commercials for Lite Beer in the 1970s and 1980s.

Classic - another one involved a game against...
by BIGSKYND  (2017-03-22 12:03:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Giants at Candlestick. The unfortunate Roger Craig was pitching a good game. Orlando Cepeda had reached and was on first with Mays at the plate IIRC. Craig, who had a great pick off move, had Cepeda leaning and got him - except Marv drops the throw. Craig goes back to work on Mays, catches Cepeda leaning again, and gets him again - except Marv drops the throw, again. Mays then lines a hit and the Giants go on to a big inning. That original Mets team may have been the worst defensive team in history - errors, to be sure, but even more so regarding balls they simply couldn't reach or misjudged. Throneberry was a big contributor.

here's a dead giveaway hint
by kdh325  (2017-03-17 17:57:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he once managed the same team that Rose managed

I would've gone with, "Turnabout is fair play:
by Father Nieuwland  (2017-03-17 19:26:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In addition to being thrown out at each base, he's also known for throwing out bases himself."

except for home...that would be a bit too tough to
by kdh325  (2017-03-18 12:15:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pull out... but maybe not. but yeah, he could throw a tantrum

I have no doubt he at least tried
by sprack  (2017-03-18 15:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was thrown out at home once while with the Yankees and was one of the funniest meltdowns I've ever seen. He was thrown out on the play and then thrown out of the game after a ground slapping tantrum worthy of an Academy Award.

and who can forget this?
by kdh325  (2017-03-18 21:22:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

star player dukes it out with the skipper? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hplZ6-5l6MA

I knew who it was before I clicked the link
by gadomer  (2017-03-21 18:37:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I met Dibble 1983-84. I used to work with his girlfriend/fiance. I am not surprised.

Wow, never saw that before
by sprack  (2017-03-20 14:00:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rob Dibble, go figure.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.