Straggle MLB pitcher trivia (perhaps not too hard)
by G.K.Chesterton (2017-03-07 00:05:41)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

- I was the last major league player to have played in the 1950s.
- I was the last "original" (pre-Twins) Washington Senator player to retire.
- I picked up a World Series ring very late in my career.
- When I retired, my career was the longest of any pitcher in major league history but I have since been passed by two others.
- My record for career Gold Gloves by a pitcher is second only to Greg Maddux's 18. I won the Gold Glove 16 consecutive years - a record.
- Believe it or not, I am *not* in the Hall of Fame.

Who am I?

Easy one for me. One of my favorite pitchers ever
by sprack  (2017-03-07 12:36:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't even have to read the answers below.

Kitty his own bad self, Jim Kaat.

He was the foremost Sox killer before Dave Stieb came along later. And then Kaat pitched for the Sox and had some of his best years.

One of the fastest workers ever, his games often took less than 2 hours.

The old Senators were bad for years, but right at the end they had great young players like Jim Kaat, Harmon Killebrew, Bob Allison, Camilo Pascual and others who formed the backbone of the Twins' 1965 World Series team in only their fourth year in Minnesota.

Twins gave up on him at age 34, he had back to back 20 win..
by Scoop80  (2017-03-07 22:35:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seasons w/ Sox. Johnny Sain was pitching coach then, and I recall him being credited for assisting in Kaat's resurgence.

Kaat is a great color man. I greatly enjoy when he and Costas are paired.

Still doing a great job in the booth at age 78 *
by sprack  (2017-03-08 02:44:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When Kaat was with the Phillies I saw him vs. Randy Jones...
by Slotts  (2017-03-07 15:24:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the Padres. Both starters went the distance. 1 hour and 32 minutes.

My guess...
by Slotts  (2017-03-07 10:08:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jim "Kitty" Kaat

Guess
by art fern  (2017-03-07 09:27:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jim Perry

Answer
by Rockbrig97  (2017-03-07 00:11:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jim Kaat.

I grew up a Twins fan and always thought he should be in the HOF based on the (yes, highly subjective) Gold Glove streak alone. 283 wins isn't anything to scoff at, either.

Jim Kaat it is.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-07 13:45:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only he and Nolan Ryan pitched in seven different presidential administrations. Only Tommy John and Nolan Ryan pitched in more seasons.

He won a lot of Gold Gloves *
by 1978Irish  (2017-03-07 10:02:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.