Blackhawks v Penguins would make a heck of a cup final.
by miamioh_irishfan (2017-03-02 10:48:16)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Somehow, the Hawks have flown relatively under the radar this year, having started slow and slumping around the turn of the calendar. They were also a complete afterthought locally until the din of the Cubs run wore off (it still hasn't, if we're being honest).

Yet, since the all-star break no team has been playing better hockey. Toews, being the workaholic that he is, went through a brutal stretch until Q finally gave him a competent line partner in Nick Schmaltz (what a name). Kane and the young kids have been playing at a high level for a few weeks and the addition of Oduya (albeit a diminished version) makes the D unit look better than just respectable again.

If we could just end the regular season today, and move on to the 2nd round series with the Wild, well that would be fine with me.

Schmaltzy is playing with Toews now?
by DakotaDomer  (2017-03-02 16:22:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go Sioux

Schmaltz doesn't like to shoot, so they may have stumbled
by 1978Irish  (2017-03-02 18:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

into something by putting him with Kane and Panarin while Anisimov is hurt.

That's rapidly changing
by NDIrish2008  (2017-03-03 09:32:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The change in Schmaltz's game since coming back from Rockford has been amazing to watch. Pre-Rockford, he only had 16 SOG in 26 games (0.6/G). Since coming back, he has 27 SOG in 18 games (1.5/G), nearly tripling his shot production. He definitely still does have some pass first moments, but I think that's more due to being the 21 year old rookie playing with Toews & Kane. I think you'll see him hit 20 goals next year.

I agree, but putting a highly skilled pass first
by 1978Irish  (2017-03-03 09:53:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

player on the ice with Kane & Panerin might be a really good move. While they are very good play makers they both have great shots.

No argument there
by NDIrish2008  (2017-03-03 12:33:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am very curious to see how it works out, in no small part because of implications for next year. The Hawks likely have to get rid of a big salary to fit Panarin's $6MM in next year, and the consensus in the past had been that Seabrook or Crawford were likely to be that salary. I wonder, though, if Schmaltz has a 10-15 game stretch here where he looks like a legit #2C, if Anisimov might be the guy traded instead. You could probably get decent value for him in the form of a young D prospect or two, and the $4.55MM cap hit getting cleared off is probably enough to get the Hawks through the next 2 years.

Crawford has a NMC
by OCND  (2017-03-03 15:54:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He'd have to agree to any trade. I'm at the point now where if I were Stanbo, I'd be confident in Darling at this point. I appreciate what Crow has done for the organization, but Darling has upside at $4M instead of $6M.

Seabrook does too
by NDIrish2008  (2017-03-05 16:43:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously, either of them would have to agree to waive it.

Taking a gamble on Darling makes sense to me, but I think he'd have to give a discount. If the choice is Darling @ $4MM or Crow, I'm keeping Crow. If Darling will do something like 4 years, $10-12MM, I'd be tempted to take that and move Crow.

The kid only started taking shots 10 days ago
by DakotaDomer  (2017-03-03 06:57:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He might be a little hesitant to start shooting in the NHL right away

He's primarily on that line, and playing great....
by Marine Domer  (2017-03-02 16:50:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, they just switched him to Kane's line while Anisimov is injured.

And his pass
by HTownND  (2017-03-03 12:05:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For Kane's goal was pretty fantastic against the Pens

Yep. It will be interesting to see what happens....
by Marine Domer  (2017-03-02 11:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the goalie situation post-season. I find it hard to believe they were trade or get rid of Crawford. But the reality is that Darling has actually played better this year. Can he be the top guy for a full season? Who knows. But someone is going to pay to find out. I assume it won't be the Hawks, but....

And, yeah, the reemergence of Toews with the terrific play of Schmalz and Panik makes the Hawks far tougher to defend than when most of their production was coming only from the second line.

The whole playoffs should be fun. A matchup with Minnesota, which seems inevitable, would also be a great series. And whoever comes out of the East will have run a gauntlet.

You can write this post
by HTownND  (2017-03-03 12:03:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And swap out Niemi for Crawford and Crawford for Darling.

I don't think they will repeat themselves this time, and will stick with Crow.

I imagine one of them will go in the expansion draft *
by El Kabong  (2017-03-03 09:14:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crawford has a NMC
by OhioIrish21  (2017-03-05 14:57:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least, from what I can tell online. And there's no way he's gonna waive it. There will be more attractive goalie options available than Darling, so its doubtful he gets snapped up.

That game last night was very entertaining *
by Siegfried08  (2017-03-02 10:48:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would've been much more entertaining with Letang, Maatta
by ArasEra  (2017-03-03 12:58:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Daley, Rust, and Sheary.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.