today's installment of the most unworthy of trivia
by kdh325 (2017-03-01 18:49:50)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

he is the last pitcher to hit a walk-off homerun.

Turns out I was in attendance that night.
by voidoid  (2017-03-04 11:23:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I cheated and looked up the answer, then passed it along to my dad since it was a Padre. He recalls the game and remembers we were there together (and that my mom was angry that he kept me out so late.) I was seven, and the memory is lost in the haze of all the other games we went to growing up.

I was watching on TV
by jt  (2017-03-06 23:57:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I recalled it when the Giants traded for him (and Kevin Mitchell and Dave Dravecky--God, what a one sided trade) in 1987.

He was a really good pitcher.

The trade wasn't terrible. Mark Davis won the Cy Young
by voidoid  (2017-03-07 07:30:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the Padres (granted, he's probably the worst CY pick in history) and Chris Brown was coming off an all-star season. But the Giants were a team on the ascent, and the Padres were the Padres.

I forgot about Mark Davis.
by jt  (2017-03-09 18:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mitchell was an MVP and had 6 good years with the Giants, Lefferts was a key cog, and Draveky was the ace until he got cancer. Still, Davis was good. Brown was broken down at the time (poor guy was always hurt and nobody believed him after a while, RIP) and Mark Grant was a stiff.

Still in the Giants favor but not by as much as I had initially recalled.

The Padres were making room in the lineup for Shawn Abner
by voidoid  (2017-03-09 18:21:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who was the first overall pick in the 1984 draft - he was the key component that came to San Diego along with Mitchell when we dished Kevin McReynolds to the Mets. Mitchell was kind of a man without a position - he played 3B, SS, 1B and all three OF positions before finally settling into left field.

Anyway, the Padres' were banking on an OF of Gwynn, Shawn Abner and Shane Mack, and Chris Brown (theoretically) solidified third base. With Benito behind the plate and Roberto Alomar at second you more or less covered for Garry Templeton and [GAPING BLACK HOLE] at first. Of course none of this worked out.

Mark Grant has been a horrific color guy on Padres' telecasts for about 15 years now. He and Matt Vasgersian were a particularly excrutiating duo.

Mets had a bunch of overrated prospects around that time
by jt  (2017-03-13 11:44:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Abner, Jefferson, and Hern (Kerns? The catcher) jump to mind.

A few ended up working out but a bunch didn't, for whatever reason.

Rick Ankiel? *
by SB Jimbo  (2017-03-03 14:22:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wild guess: Darren Dreifort
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-03-02 21:41:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to a Cubs-Dodgers game in 2000 at which he hit 2 HRs, one of which traveled about 460 feet -- no small feat in the thick air of Dodger Stadium. (This also was the game when the ushers ejected two women for kissing each other on the lips. That would be unimaginable today.)

A Wichita State Shocker!!!! *
by Hometown fan  (2017-03-03 10:16:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no, but my guy had an almost identical career
by kdh325  (2017-03-03 10:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

winning pct to Dryfart (.444 to .446)

Bunning? *
by Slotts  (2017-03-03 13:14:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two big hints
by kdh325  (2017-03-02 20:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a) he was the winning pitcher in a College World Series championship game b) he is tied with Grover C Alexander in one career statistic.

Damn, this guy is just full of trivia. But no, Jason Varitek was never a battery mate.

another hint: the pitcher ended up playing for the team
by jt  (2017-03-06 23:55:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he hit the home run off of.

It was one of the first games I recall watching; I had just gotten into the Giants that year and this was an early April game.

Answer: Craig Lefferts

Did he pitch for Mississippi State or LSU? *
by sprack  (2017-03-03 12:04:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very wild guess based on GCA clue.
by art fern  (2017-03-03 09:34:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea whether he pitched in the college world series. He was not a home run hitter in MLB, but it only takes one home run.

Sandy Koufax - He tied GCA with the most Triple Crown (3).

Interesting thing about him re: college baseball
by sprack  (2017-03-03 12:03:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a walkon.

Did he pitch for Univ. of Texas? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-02 23:21:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"no" to both a yuz *
by kdh325  (2017-03-03 10:06:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since he hits a lot of them, I'll guess Bumgarner. *
by Slotts  (2017-03-02 13:06:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don Drysdale *
by TWO  (2017-03-02 08:21:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pure guess
by Groundhog  (2017-03-02 00:59:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don Robinson

Totally wild guess
by sprack  (2017-03-01 22:30:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CC Sabathia

This HR is not the answer but it came to mind.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-03-01 20:58:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am wild-guessing Travis Wood or Yovani Gallardo.

That is undoubtedly
by HTownND  (2017-03-02 10:33:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The slowest HR trip around the bases, ever, and he wasn't showboating.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.