This is why you are the franchise with the most losses in
by HTownND (2017-02-15 11:46:14)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

pro sports

This is the third or fourth time they've tried to co-opt this phrase.

Just plain absurd.

No, Baker and Nugent are why. *
by Irish Tool  (2017-02-15 22:22:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree and I'm a Phillies fan
by NavyJoe  (2017-02-15 16:40:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's definitely a Mets' slogan. They should replace "Ya Gotta Believe" with "World Fucking Champions."

Yep
by HTownND  (2017-02-15 17:14:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look, I'm not happy about it, but the Phils had a damn good run in there in the late 2000s, and they should celebrate it.

I just don't get the Ya Gotta Believe stuff. It just keeps coming up. There are plenty of ways to honor and celebrate dominating the NL during that time. They don't have to steal a 40 year old Mets slogan.

Especially not from a team that went 82-79
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-02-15 23:04:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and won the pennant only because no other team in the division had a winning record (and, in part, because home field in the NLCS wasn't yet determined by winning percentage). It was deservedly called the "National League Least." If the Phils want to try and thread that needle, fine, but it doesn't seem like a very lofty goal.

Kind of like the fan at Dodger Stadium one night who, with a runner on third and fewer than two outs, kept yelling, "SAC FLY!" Not exactly aiming high.

"Meet the Phils, step right up and greet the Phils!"
by sprack  (2017-02-15 19:15:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those amazin' Phillies.

Most losses in pro sports seems unfair
by DakotaDomer  (2017-02-15 15:49:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They can probably claim they're the team with the 15th most wins in pro sports or some other Hardin-esque statement

they've earned it.
by bizdomer09  (2017-02-15 16:41:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With 1143 more losses than wins, they are more than 300 more games under .500 than the next team, the Orioles. They are 1,789 1/2 games behind the Yankees in the cumulative standings. So if they went 162-0 for the next 11 seasons and the Yankees went 0-162, they would still be 7.5 games behind the Yanks.

One winning season between 1918 and 1948
by Groundhog  (2017-02-16 00:34:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If not for the Phillies 1932 season, the Pirates streak of 20 losing seasons in a row would look paltry.

And after the player selloff in the 30's, the A's weren't
by sprack  (2017-02-16 12:30:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

much better.

Philly must have been where baseball went to die. Then the A's went to KC and continued to be terrible until they got good in Oakland.

The A's remain Philadelphia's most successful pro franchise. *
by Irish Tool  (2017-02-17 02:40:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two periods of domination followed by fire sales
by sprack  (2017-02-17 11:24:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When Mack had the players, they were great teams. When he didn't have the money, not so good. The second selloff of course was Depression driven. Attendance in the 30's dropped like a stone all over baseball, but the A's did not have the money the Yankees and Red Sox owners had, so he was forced to sell Grove, Foxx and Simmons.

For once, DiDi is right.
by Irish Tool  (2017-02-15 22:19:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Phils currently have a .472 WP compared to the O's .477. However, they are the 6th and 7th worst franchises by winning percentage.

Those 5 worse teams are all expansion
by bizdomer09  (2017-02-15 22:51:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But look, 2 more important things than that worth noting here:
1) I'm not trying to be Captain Uppity on this worst franchise chatter just because the Cubs now have won one World Series in the last 109 years. The previous 40 years of my rooting life before November 2nd weren't that long ago, so I haven't forgotten. Besides, in my lifetime the Phillies have had plenty of success. The crap that put them 1100 under .500 was all before I was 5 and I'm not that young.
2) I actually have a soft spot for the Phils. My grandfather grew up in North Philly and was a lifelong fan, and I've spent a good portion of my life living in and around Philly, including now. They are doing some good things rebuilding and I hope they get it together soon. Citizens Bank is one of the very best places to watch a game when the product is good.

So, Go Fightin's. Except against the Cubs.

The Orioles have an excuse, too
by sprack  (2017-02-15 19:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For 52 years they were the St. Louis Browns.

As for the Phillies and the Yankees, they did play once in the World Series.

Of course, the Yankees swept.

They played in 2009 also. Yanks in 6. Utley had 5 HRs.
by navyjoe  (2017-02-16 09:12:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Matsui won the MVP and ARod had a monster series as well. That was the year Cole Hamels forgot how to pitch.

Oops, forget. So they had a .333 winning percentage in that
by sprack  (2017-02-16 12:29:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

series. (Yeah, I know they won the year before, just engaging in chain yanking, no pun intended)

Twice. *
by Irish Tool  (2017-02-15 22:12:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least he played for the Phillies. *
by vitadulcedospes  (2017-02-15 13:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And to be fully clear
by HTownND  (2017-02-15 17:15:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did try to bring it back for the 80 World Series (following it's origins in 73).

I think that makes a difference.
by Irish Tool  (2017-02-15 22:16:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably not enough of a difference for its current prominence, but it's something.

"Anything Can Happen" - Seattle Mariners, 1984. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-02-15 11:56:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.