a fairly ignorant question on defensive schemes/packages
by kdh325 (2017-02-13 14:10:53)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I must admit my football enthusiasm reached its peak in the 80s when the standard offensive set was the 2 back, 2 WR, 1 TE set, and the defensive scheme was the 4-3-4 or 3-4-4, with the corners on the wideouts, the TS on the tight end. Sometime in the last 15 years my interest bottomed out (marriage, kids, other interests) and just recently I have begun to follow a bit more closely. So my question is this: with the advent of the single back, 3 WR formation as the standard, for most teams anyway, do the defenses still mostly rely on a 4 DB set, or is a 5 DB set more commonly used? Or are the nickel and dime packages still mostly reserved for more obvious passing situations? Thanks.

Yes. Teams spend more time in Nickel package. As an
by steelhop  (2017-02-13 16:24:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

example the Steelers were in nickel package about 65% of the time last year and only in base defense 28% of the time.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.