Report: Chargers are moving to Los Angeles.
by G.K.Chesterton (2017-01-11 22:09:24)
Edited on 2017-01-11 22:11:00
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Announcement possibly coming as early as Thursday. They'll need a new theme song. I have some cool Charger shorts with the bolt but at least they don't mention the city name.

New logo very Dodger-like...
by wiNDycityfan  (2017-01-12 11:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

probably took all of 30 minutes to come up with...by 6 year olds.

That's their former new logo (link)
by Kayo  (2017-01-14 12:40:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a joke. Freaking amateur hour. *
by NavyJoe  (2017-01-14 17:06:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How could they mess w/ the best logo in the NFL?
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-01-13 09:47:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That helmet is classic. If they go to this it is shameful.

I don't think they will or even can change the helmet
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-01-13 11:54:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NFL requires a lot of lead time -- 2-3 years -- for any uniform change. The helmets and powder blue uniforms are about the only things to like about the Chargers these days.

I was disappointed they didn't go powder blue in their last
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-01-13 17:06:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

home game in San Diego.

I believe they're only allowed to do that twice per year
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-01-13 21:47:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at least while the powder blues are designated as "alternate" jerseys. They chose to wear them against the Raiders and, far less explicably, the Titans. They wore navy blue for only three home games, vs. Miami, Tampa Bay, and KC. They wore white-on-white vs. the Jaguars, white-on-navy vs. the Saints, and royal blue "color rush" jerseys and pants vs. Denver.

I'd like to see them make the powder blues the primary jersey. I think it would make particular sense now that they're moving to LA, as it would differentiate them more from the Rams (who did as I suggested and made white-on-white their primary home uniform this year, as it had been from 1964-1972).

The Lightning tweeted that they and LAD are "just friends" *
by Tubes  (2017-01-12 13:37:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Snarky tweets from sports teams are Twitters best attribute *
by navyjoe  (2017-01-12 16:24:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See the white light flashing as I split the upright. *
by tdiddy07  (2017-01-12 12:58:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Fight for L.A.” is their unofficial slogan.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-01-12 12:24:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can't wait for the first Raiders game in LA.

I'm not an IP lawyer
by bizdomer09  (2017-01-12 12:13:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But my instincts tell me that if they haven't already cleared that with the Dodgers, they should expect a call from their lawyers soon regarding copyright infringement issues. Same color scheme and basic setup. Ask 100 people in LA what the logo reminds them of, and I bet close to 100 of them would say Dodgers. And not exactly a warm invitation to SD to stick with the team, to say the least.

Terrible. And why do they even need a new logo? *
by sprack  (2017-01-12 12:04:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those were my thoughts as well. *
by NDBass  (2017-01-12 12:28:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You know, I am really getting sick of the term "fake news"
by sprack  (2017-01-12 10:52:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Et tu, Dan Fouts?

It's almost as bad as saying the move should be "dope".

For the Charger fans, hey, I have to drive 2 hours to ND games, and it's not that bad.

The relocation fee is rumored to be as high as $650m.
by voidoid  (2017-01-12 08:54:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

God forbid Dean Spanos put that money towards a new facility in SD. He's finally made the big time in Los Angeles!

If that happens
by mitquinn  (2017-01-11 22:30:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Raiders will have zero chance to be in Sin City.

Why do you say that?
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-01-12 00:52:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think this makes it even more likely that the Raiders will move to Las Vegas.

I just don't understand why the Chargers would move to a place where they're not wanted. There's no enthusiasm here for this move.

I've heard a very different take
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 10:28:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From what I understand, half the people who've been in SD are from LA and OC, etc.

I know several people from LA who have been Chargers fans their whole lives.

I don't think they are moving where they aren't wanted (unless you mean not wanted by Rams fans, which is true).

There is also the poll from the link, and the NFL fan graph, which shows a pretty even split in the LA area for the Rams/Chargers. It's a pretty big Metro area.

And it's not like San Diego is that far from LA, it's what 2 hours/120 miles.

I'm not sure about what you've posted.
by voidoid  (2017-01-12 10:53:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For starters, keep in mind that San Diegans *hate* Los Angeles. I am hesitant to derive too much support data from a poll that appears to be based on Twitter followers and Facebook likes.

I don't think anywhere near half of San Diegans are from OC/LA as you state, the majority of the population is either native, transplants from colder parts of the country, military, or immigrant. Having been born and raised there I knew very few people who had moved south.

Getting in and out of Inglewood on the 405 on gameday will be much more than 2 hours, probably more like 3.

And as a final point, the fanbase absolutely detests Dean Spanos at this point. He has held the city hostage with relocation shenanigans for fifteen years. Fans are washing their hands of him.

Of the three teams under consideration, the Raiders made by far the most sense for LA from a fanbase standpoint, but they have the least money of the three franchises.

Just going by what I've been told
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 11:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by friends and family.

Granted, they are in the southern LA area (Newport/Long Beach), so it will be a hike to get to Inglewood (always up to no good) for games, but I'm not sure we can say that no one in LA wants them.

I think it's safe to say, LA generally speaking, doesn't want the NFL, and now they have two pretty bad teams.

I don't expect a bunch of people to come up from San Diego. I'm saying there are some fans already there. Enough to fill the LA Colliseum week to week? No (but neither do the Rams). But it's not zero either.

And all of this is driven by the NFL's obsession with
by voidoid  (2017-01-12 12:33:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

new facilities. Check out this quote from Robert Kraft:

"You have people that have been fans of this team for 55 years, and they now will be able to go into a stadium worthy of the support that they've given."

"In one sense it's sad, but in the other it's nice that it's still close by and true fans will be able to support the Chargers."

TRUE FANS. All those fair-weather Chargers fans for the last 50+ years aren't committed enough to drive six hours every other Sunday to watch their beloved team play!

The boltified Dodger logo and Fight for LA slogan...
by bizdomer09  (2017-01-12 12:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think pretty much seals the deal on the divorce from SD. Forget what I said below. This will definitely be the absolute most hated team in San Diego, and I don't think there will be many holdouts at all.

I lack words to describe how angry I am today... *
by voidoid  (2017-01-12 12:44:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

couldn't it work if they settled in OC?
by bizdomer09  (2017-01-12 10:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

LA/OC is a big market with a whole lot of geography. Could be a Dodgers:Angels; Rams:Chargers type arrangement. And across the LA market they could focus on segments of the demographics as part of their fan identity vs the Rams. Plus by being in OC they could make it easier for some of the SD market to hang on. I'm not sure how many would do that vs writing them off forever. Given that it's LA I imagine more the latter. But maybe not everyone.

That makes sense demographically but it would require
by voidoid  (2017-01-12 10:59:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

building another new stadium.

I didn't understand the likelihood of joining in Inglewood
by bizdomer09  (2017-01-12 11:07:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if that is in fact the case.

My understanding is that the NFL wanted a single stadium
by voidoid  (2017-01-12 11:28:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with two tenants rather than two facilities (akin to Jets/Giants.) This explains the two competing proposals last year: Chargers & Raiders in Carson, or Rams and [second team] in Inglewood.

There was some talk about Jerry Jones being the lead
by mitquinn  (2017-01-12 02:07:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on giving the papal blessing.

His rumored stance is to not have three teams relocate within that proximity.

Jerry has the team practice in Oxnard in the summer
by okerland  (2017-01-13 17:20:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He doesn't want to lose that base.

The reports now seem to be
by Groundhog  (2017-01-12 01:51:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That the Raiders move to Las Vegas will get the green light.

The Chargers move to LA is stupid. Spanos is and has been a terrible owner. I don't think they will even generate the interest the Clippers get.

They'll draw better per game than the Clippers
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-01-12 21:35:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the Clippers play in Staples Center. The Chargers can't survive with crowds under 30,000.

Oakland is already losing the Warriors and may lose the A's.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-01-12 12:18:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They could hit the trifecta of losing all three pro teams.

Yeah
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 14:34:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The A's are going to be the last hold out, and I think they'll stay as long as they can, but the support simply isn't there for them. At some point, they and the Giants will figure something out, and it will all be over for Oakland.

The Giants can go shit in a hat
by mitquinn  (2017-01-14 16:34:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The A's did them a solid and allowed them territory so they did not leave for Tampa.

Larry Baer is the worst, absolute worst.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.