Red Wings fans - how long has Abdelkader worn the 'A'
by Otis (2017-01-11 14:29:35)
Edited on 2017-01-11 14:33:49
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I always thought of him as a bit of a mental midget, so I was surprised to see him wearing the 'A' last night.

Disclosure: I'm a Blackhawks fan so maybe a bit biased, but he seems to be the kind of guy who lets other people get under his skin. Not a quality I'd look for in an alternate captain.

(Edited for typo)

Just this season
by captaineclectic  (2017-01-11 14:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blashill named him in October -- he took Datsyuk's place. It was apparently him or Larkin.

I share your opinion of him, blasted Holland for resigning him in the first place, and am utterly unsurprised to see that he pissed away a great comeback last night with his typical bonehead shennanigans.

I hate him.
by CMillar  (2017-01-12 09:51:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he both sucks and is an idiot. Yet there is a portion of the fanbase who truly believe he is good and deserving of both his contract and the "A".

I assume said portion of the fanbase to be the typical Big Ten meathead, lifelong-Lions-fan cohort.

A jumped-up grinder
by captaineclectic  (2017-01-12 10:09:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who once(!) scored 20 goals as a passenger and thought it made him a star.

His stupidity could be excused, however. The team's stupidity cannot be.

A fair point.
by CMillar  (2017-01-12 12:03:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not his fault our brain trust offered him the contract. Kudos to him for not being so stupid as to not take it.

We all know that Holland has turned in a shit-heel performance since the salary cap kicked in, but I think a bigger problem was Bowman jumping ship to the Blackhawks. I'm convinced he's still pulling all of the strings over there and his son is just along for the ride.

Hold on thar, Baba Looey
by El Kabong  (2017-01-12 14:30:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you claiming Bowman, while running the Hawks, is still involved with Detroit and is having the RW make bad moves on purpose?

Nah
by captaineclectic  (2017-01-12 18:50:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holland's bumbling around on his own.

No
by HTownND  (2017-01-12 14:44:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's claiming that Stan's role with the Hawks is not as big and it's still Scotty calling the shots.

The cap kicked in in summer 2005
by captaineclectic  (2017-01-12 13:06:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From summer 2005 to Bowman's departure in July 2008, "Holland" actually made several good moves:

--we bought out the right guys in Hatcher (done), Whitney (never a fit), and McCarty (was back on the sauce);
--plucked Franzen out of obscurity and made him a star;
--we brought Osgood back -- that proved wise;
--signed Sammuelsson, the kind of savvy move we used to make;
--let Shanahan walk after 2006 (a good cap-management move, though Shanny had another couple good years in him);
--let Bert and Schneider walk and used the money to nab Rafalski;
--brought back Hasek and a soberish McCarty back on discounts;
--traded for Stuart.
--in the last days before Bowman left, signed Hossa.

You can't find a similar record of good moves since then.

How has Athanasiou been? His speed was noticable
by Otis  (2017-01-11 14:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he can play under control with that speed, he looks like he could be dangerous.

Reminds me of Hinostroza for the Hawks - earlier this year he was just fast, now he's picking his spots and playing more under control and is becoming a key contributor.

He is one of our better forwards
by captaineclectic  (2017-01-11 14:59:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and a perpetual resident in Blashill's doghouse.

It is somewhat clear that Blashill's mandate is to play the guys who make the most money at the top of the lineup. Holland is willing to see the team sink or swim on his "man's league" philosophy. Alternatively, players who are senior and have expensive contracts are being given every opportunity to rebuild value in the desperate hope that Vegas takes one of our many albatross contracts off our hands.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.