Let's hope Shanahan doesn't read the Sun.
by captaineclectic (2014-05-08 06:30:57)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

"It was quite awhile ago (2005-06), but Cleary, Samuelsson and Quincey were on the same Detroit team as new Leafs president Brendan Shanahan, who is looking to bring some winning tradition to Toronto."

Heard some interesting rumblings the other day about Babcock
by CanadianKid  (2014-05-08 11:39:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nick Kypreos had a lot to say on the situation in a radio spot, a Leafs fan transcribed the interesting stuff on twitter:

"Babcock is at a crossroads in Det. You can get away with having a lame duck coach in Nash with Trotz. Can't do that in Detroit"

"We'll either have an extension soon for Babcock or he and Detroit can part ways this summer"

"I believe that Babcock would like to entertain a different market. He would be the first $3 million dollar coach"

Then of course, the Leafs stuff start:

"I get mixed reviews on the relationship between Babcock and Shanahan. Babcock to TO would be more Leiweke than Shanahan'"

"Babcock would be home run for the Leafs who is plan B? Have they contacted Trotz? We'll hear Carlyle's fate some time this week"

From Doug MacLean: "I wouldn't be surprised if Holland and Babcock make a joint decision on Mike leaving. There is too much respect between the two"

"Not a lot of love between Babcock and his players. People think there is, but there isn't. Babcock can't be a lame duck coach"

Dreger also was talking about how the relationship between Babcock and the Wings may have run its course, but I don't know if that's from independent sources or if he's just piggybacking on the Kypreos stuff.

Kypreos really made it seem like Shanahan and Babcock don't get along at all, despite making nice in public. But I could definitely see Tim Leiweke making the move. He wants a splashy move and would probably love to give a coach the biggest contract in the league. We agreed earlier that going after an assistant like Davis Payne wouldn't be a Leafs-type move. Poaching Babcock with a lavish contract would be very Leafs.

It might not be related, but apparently the Wings are not allowing teams to talk to Blashill.

Babcock, obviously, has denied the rumours for now: "That's not right for Randy Carlyle, and I'm real comfortable in my situation."

This is all sausage.
by captaineclectic  (2014-05-08 11:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's not leaving.

The source of these rumors is that when he was asked about his contract on locker clear out day, he said something like "We haven't discussed it, it's not a priority, I'd be comfortable going year-to-year like Bowman did."

Most of the Detroit press took that as "I'm sure enough that I'm staying that I don't worry with the formalities." Most of the Toronto press took it as "See ya, suckers!"

You be the judge who's got the better track record a) interpreting Mike Babcock's statements and b) accurately gauging the interest of hockey-types in coming to the Leafs.

It is correct that Babcock and Shanahan did not get along. However, I repeat that Shanahan did not get along with most coaches, and it's accurate that Babcock isn't a teddy bear himself.

As for MacLean's statement, that kind of settles it -- Holland doesn't want Babcock to leave.

Well, Randy Carlyle is returning as coach
by CanadianKid  (2014-05-08 14:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, yeah. The world is a cruel and terrible place. I probably won't be able to find joy in anything for the next few days.

I'm astonished, which I suppose is stupid considering the Leafs have only ever made terrible decisions. But all the evidence is just so clear on Carlyle being an awful coach, I really didn't think it could have been ignored. I thought Shanahan's hiring signaled a new era. How naive. Fuck you Shanahan for giving me hope that things could change with this soul-destroying organization.

Edit: OH MY GOD, the previous words were written before he was given a 2 year extension. I don't even...what? WHAT? HOW? WHY? We've crossed the line from incompetence to parody.

Under Carlyle, the Leafs have been outshot in 76.4% of their games. Shanahan and Nonis evaluated Carlyle and decided they wanted him for next year and an additional two years.

I'm surprised Carlyle is being retained (edit)
by captaineclectic  (2014-05-08 15:13:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Forgive me for not being surprised that the Toronto media seized on a stray comment from Mike Babcock and invented an alternate universe in which he's unhappy in Detroit and longing to coach the Leafs with his good buddy Shanahan. I'm equally unsurprised that simpler explanations were ignored.

EDIT: That extension is a crime against humanity.

This must be what happens when....
by BIGSKYND  (2014-05-08 16:33:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you haven't won the Cup in nearly 50 years, you're sitting on a hockey gold mine, you still get sellout houses every night, and you're charging and getting an arm and a leg for seats. You just don't care about whether who you're signing to LT big $$$$ deals on or behind the bench makes one bit of frigging sense.

So you're saying they are the Cubs of the NHL? *
by Otis  (2014-05-08 17:23:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They should hire Don Cherry as an assistant. *
by dentonfreeman  (2014-05-08 16:06:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Might as well, things can't get any worse
by CanadianKid  (2014-05-08 16:23:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm serious about The Love Guru cursing you guys.
by captaineclectic  (2014-05-09 11:49:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Released in June 2008.

How've things gone since then?

Well, things were awful from 2005-2008 too
by CanadianKid  (2014-05-09 12:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The lockout is where things turned for the franchise. Suddenly they couldn't spend their way to contention anymore.

Maybe Mike Myers needs to make another Austin Powers to bring us back to the "glory days" of regular playoff visits. I need to get the Leafs mojo back baby, yeah!

The comedy continues today with Dreger announcing "players will be held accountable" (of course, the head coach and management aren't). Rattles off Kadri and Gardiner as possibly on the trade block. After dumping Grabovski, MacArthur and looking to move those guys, the Leafs are actively getting rid of their best possession players. I think they sort by Corsi Relative and trade whoever's at the top. It's like watching a baseball team convinced that OBP is useless and seeking out hitters who make outs.

I can handle 2015 being a lost year. Hey, there's always the chance they get lucky and wind up with McDavid or Eichel. But trading their best young guys will massively hurt the franchise for years to come. It's criminal that they might do this to satisfy our dinosaur of a head coach.

You guys need to bring in some winning culture
by captaineclectic  (2014-05-09 12:17:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Johan Franzen was Shanahan's teammate in Detroit from 2005-2006. He's a proven winner not like that bum Kadri. Sure, Franzen's a Swede, but Kadri's an Arab or something, he belongs in Detroit with the other soft foreigners.

Just being a good guy helping out the opposition...
by BIGSKYND  (2014-05-09 12:32:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm only surprised that you didn't offer to take JVR off their hands, as well.

Good stuff - but we also need a....
by BIGSKYND  (2014-05-09 10:11:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Hitler Learns That Carlyle Has Been Extended" youtube. "Mein Fuhrer........Shanahan decided to extend Carlyle......."

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.