Torts reminded me of recent Boeheim in his post game tonight
by ArasEra (2013-03-12 22:43:32)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Big difference, though - Torts was sending a message to his players and Boeheim is just a jerk.

Gaborik may be on his way out of town.
by dentonfreeman  (2013-03-13 12:28:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyway, Torts is right, Buffalo didn't play all that well last night. The Rangers were just awful. Hopefully the team gets the hint and comes out on fire tomorrow in Winnipeg.

Agreed, the offense looked punchless last night.
by Beer30Light  (2013-03-13 13:16:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hank kept them in the game with a solid first period, but the fact that they could only manage one shorthanded goal (against a power play that was somehow more pathetic than theirs, no less) last night was pathetic.

Abdelkader's a tough guy, Torts would love him.
by captaineclectic  (2013-03-13 12:37:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hell, he's been on Detroit's second line, it's not like he's got no talent.

Nice guy too.
by DillonFightSong  (2013-03-14 13:53:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was sitting next to the Wings' penalty box in Columbus on Saturday. Abdelkader took 2 minutes for diving (it looked like he was trying out for the Italian national soccer team) and wound up sitting next to me.

I heckled him for a bit about the dive. Nothing noteworthy like my encounters with Malkin, Downey, or Montador. Abdelkaer just kept drinking his water and spitting it on the pick freezer.

My friend didn't yell. He just said, "C'mon! Quit spitting on the puck freezer! Ron (the guy in the box) has to handle that." So Abdelkader grabbed a towel, wiped the spit off the freezer and smiled. We quit heckling after that.

Would Detroit be interested in Gabby?
by dentonfreeman  (2013-03-13 14:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are a few teams I could see being interested in a pure sniper. He's only signed for one more season at his current rate ($7.5M, I think).

Thing is we'd need a solid second line guy coming back. Don't know if Abdelkader fits the bill there.

As an aside, I remember people justifying their dislike of trading for Nash with "Kreider will pot 20-30 next year, we don't need Nash". That didn't work out too well for them.

I would hold onto Gaborik until the offseason.
by voidoid  (2013-03-13 14:36:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whether he's producing right now or not, he's a threat to score and gives opposing defenses another line to defend against. Stepan/Cally/Gaborik is a pretty good second line to Nash/Richards/Hagelin.

The team has more offensive depth right now than they did last season. Why shake things up?

I wouldn't do it unless he's ineffective between
by dentonfreeman  (2013-03-13 14:40:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now and the deadline. I think he'll be gone in the offseason for sure, especially if the Rangers have a shot at one of the big name UFAs.

You're right that it isn't worth it right now. If he gets it together we'll be looking pretty good. Until then here's to hoping he finds his mojo.

Detroit is goal-poor right now.
by captaineclectic  (2013-03-13 14:08:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Part of that has been missing Flip/Bert/Sammy, but really none of those guys are pure goal scorers or known for generating their own offense -- they are complementary players. Datsyuk's going cold has something to do with the lack of complementary players to put on his line.

A pure goal scorer would be a tremendous plus to this team.

We'd need a couple of guys in return.
by dentonfreeman  (2013-03-13 14:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No point in giving up Gaborik unless he gives us some depth.

If he isn't gone at the deadline, which I think there's only a very slim chance of that, I'd bet on him getting dealt at the draft.

Filppula and one of the offensive prospects
by captaineclectic  (2013-03-13 14:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

probably a first too. Gaborik would wind up costing.

keep the 1st and throw in Abdelkader. I never want to see
by gowings1  (2013-03-13 16:19:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that guy on the second line or on the powerplay again. By trading him Babcock will no longer have that option.

Yeah, I think I'd have to say yes to that.
by dentonfreeman  (2013-03-13 18:04:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Flip takes Gabby's spot, and Abdelkader allows us to demote Boyle to the 4th line, or trade him, and/or send Miller back to Connecticut. Demoting or trading Boyle would also solve our problem with Stu Bickel.

I'm all for it... get the GMs on the line and let's make it
by gowings1  (2013-03-13 21:18:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

happen.

Supposedly Flip is back tonight
by captaineclectic  (2013-03-13 16:28:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Filppula-Zetterberg-Brunner
Franzen-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Cleary-Abdelkader-Andersson
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

That second line looks good. Hoping Nyquist can make it stick.

vastly improved... Bet Dats starts scoring again too?
by gowings1  (2013-03-13 21:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he doesn't decide to resign with the Wings I am blaming Babcock personally for making him play with Cleary and Abdelkader for 6-7 games... damn that was awful.

It continues -- Abdelkader back up with him last night
by captaineclectic  (2013-03-14 11:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I dunno why you'd skate the one way in practice and the other in the game. But one point out of six against Columbus and Calgary isn't getting us into the playoffs. We can blame Gustavsson all we like for this one, but shit.

I am so happy I could not actually watch... geesh.
by gowings1  (2013-03-14 18:16:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Babcock is doing it on purpose to force Holland to find a legit scorer to play with Dats.

Tortorella is an asshole, message or not. *
by Nova Scotia Irish  (2013-03-13 10:16:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.