Murphy made Coffey redundant
by strangebrew (2013-03-09 12:05:00)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Fantasy Sports ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: I do not agree that he was the top offensive defenseman...  posted by KevinG

But if Murphy had been the guy traded, I could just as easily state that Coffey made Murphy redundant.

Having two future Hall-of-Famers available as point men for the power play was a luxury that few teams have ever had; throw in the fact that Francis was able to fill in as the 2nd point man post-trade, and it was clear that one of them was expendable.

P.S. I take exception to you referring to the Flames as a good but not great team; if they didn't have to face the Oilers in the 1st 2 rounds every year, I think they would be looked back upon as a dynasty in their own right. Vernon, Suter, MacInnis, Otto, McDonald, Nieuwendyk, Gilmour, Fleury, Mullen, Roberts--that team was stacked.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.