Monty
by IrishinSF (2024-04-30 15:52:25)

Curious as to whether anyone here has any insight into Monty’s last few years coaching. Was reading an article in The Athletic about the Suns’ quick exit from the playoffs when this paragraph caught my eye:

“Less than a year ago, Ishbia hired Vogel on a five-year, $31 million deal to replace Monty Williams after the Suns had lost to eventual-champion Denver in the Western Conference semifinals. The decision to move on from Williams had its merits, as every sector of the Suns organization had lost faith in him. In his first season with the Detroit Pistons this year, Williams didn’t fare much better — the exact opposite, in fact, as the team posted its worst record ever.”

Anyone in Detroit/Phoenix/anywhere know what’s going on with Monty? I don’t follow the NBA much but was surprised with how his ending at Phoenix was characterized and how his first season at Detroit has gone.

Take it with a grain of salt, but Monty rejected piston 1st
by fourputtmd  (2024-05-01 13:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

offer....then made him an offer he couldn't refuse. His heart is just not with this team.

Not a piston's fan, but its the consensus on the talk shows

The Phoenix Organization
by HTownND  (2024-04-30 19:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is run by a bunch of shiny new toys nouveau riche idiots.

They lost faith in him, not because he's not a good coach, but they thought they had assembled the best team that money could buy and Monty was holding them back. Turns out it wasn't Monty, it was the collection of players they assembled.

This trend will continue until power shifts back a little from 99% players 1% owners to something more reasonable. I don't suspect this change will happen until after Silver is gone.

Darvin Ham is the next scapegoat to the dipshit players playing GM.

The organizations that have resisted this urge the most are doing the best. It looks like Milwaukee couldn't help themselves and may be trending down that path. But Denver looks to be in it for the long haul. Same with the TWolves, and dare we say it, the Knicks.

Monty might also be a bad coach
by ndzippy  (2024-04-30 22:29:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Detroit's roster isn't amazing, but he made it look worse than it should have...

I'm admittedly only a very casual NBA fan, but data seems to
by Tex Francisco  (2024-05-01 09:17:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be pointing in this direction. Monty is straight out of central casting in terms of looking, talking, and acting like the perfect NBA head coach, but the actual results on the court have been disappointing.