I'm saddened by this
by catripledomer (2024-03-21 16:07:25)

In reply to: Matt Zona enters transfer portal.  posted by irishhawk49

I had high hopes for Zona next year. Seemed like with some off-season work from this staff he could have been a major contributor next year.

Good luck Matt!

I agree. I underestimated him coming into this season.
by NDL89  (2024-03-22 13:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He showed discipline and scrappiness in the paint both ways. Add to that his three-point shooting, and he became a real contributor instead of a place holder. I was looking forward to having him on board next season with the hope that he wouldn't pass on as many three point looks as he had this year.

Also seems like a really good guy and teammate. He represented ND very well.

Best of luck to him.

This is probably a good decision for Zona.
by chicos bail bonds  (2024-03-21 22:06:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a good contributor this year but likely wasn't going to increase his playing time next year. He has his degree and I would like to see him go to a program where he can get significant minutes. Shrewsbury knows he has to improve the talent level in the program. That was Mike Brey's downfall - he rode 5 guys that weren't getting any better and he just kept doubling down without bringing in better players. Loyalty was admirable but it also led to his ultimate demise.

I hear ya.
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-21 16:16:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don’t think he has the athleticism and explosiveness to be a main contributor in the ACC as a post player. I admire his effort and he seems like a fine young man. I hope he finds a school that fits his skill set. I hope for nothing but the best for Matt.

Well said. My sentiments exactly. Good luck, Matt. *
by leprechan923  (2024-03-21 18:47:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post