Matt Zona enters transfer portal.
by irishhawk49 (2024-03-21 15:53:24)

He has one year of eligibility as a grad transfer. I hope he finds success. He always played his ass off and seems like a good guy. Good luck Matt.

Dang. Hate to see him go; he was a good teammate.
by 84david  (2024-03-22 09:11:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But good luck to him, I hope he ends up a starter somewhere.

Hope this works out for him *
by jarman  (2024-03-22 08:40:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good luck to Matt. Thanks for the four years. I hope he
by jarman  (2024-03-22 08:44:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lands somewhere where he can get a shot at increased playing time. I’ve heard him on podcasts and spoken to students, and - by all accounts - Matt (and Tony Sanders as well) are great representatives of the University

Good luck to a fellow Bergen Catholic alum!!!! Had hoped he
by so-it-goes  (2024-03-22 04:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would stay, but he will contribute to wherever he moves on to. Thanks for his effort and dedication.

Nothing but love and respect for him. Godspeed Matt. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-03-22 00:14:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good for him. He'll have an ND degree and maybe he will
by Raoul  (2024-03-21 20:50:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

go to a Mid-Major where he can really play 20+ mins and maybe start. Choose wisely and maybe make the NCAA Tournament.

I assume everyone who doesn't play much leaves. Very few teams can keep a long bench. Most everyone here wants transfers-in on bigs - why wouldn't he leave.

A bit of a surprise, but good luck to him.
by TWO  (2024-03-21 16:19:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a good teammate and contributed in any way he could, I appreciyeate his effort.

That said I wonder if he just didn't see his playing time increasing and was expecting a portal big to be added and actually reduce his playing time? He certainly is unlikely to have any NBA prospects so maybe he's just looking for a situation where he'll get more playing time and work on an advanced degree.

Good Luck Matt

I'm not surprised.
by Kayo  (2024-03-21 17:29:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zona can be a starting center at the right level of competition. I hope he finds that situation and has a great last hurrah.

Noie also said he wasn't surprised. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-21 18:58:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good luck, Matt. Appreciated your effort this year. *
by FightinIrish  (2024-03-21 17:22:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would guess he had an end of year interview with Coach
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-21 16:39:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shrewsberry. At the very least 6’10 frosh Garrett Sundra will be coming in and looking for minutes. Transfer portal player? Who knows? But just with Sundra I could see Matt’s role being diminished relative to what he got this year.

I hope he lands somewhere that will allow him to be a 25-30 minute a game player. I really respect how hard he played and worked. He seems like a really good guy. Good luck to him.

I'm saddened by this
by catripledomer  (2024-03-21 16:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had high hopes for Zona next year. Seemed like with some off-season work from this staff he could have been a major contributor next year.

Good luck Matt!

I agree. I underestimated him coming into this season.
by NDL89  (2024-03-22 13:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He showed discipline and scrappiness in the paint both ways. Add to that his three-point shooting, and he became a real contributor instead of a place holder. I was looking forward to having him on board next season with the hope that he wouldn't pass on as many three point looks as he had this year.

Also seems like a really good guy and teammate. He represented ND very well.

Best of luck to him.

This is probably a good decision for Zona.
by chicos bail bonds  (2024-03-21 22:06:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a good contributor this year but likely wasn't going to increase his playing time next year. He has his degree and I would like to see him go to a program where he can get significant minutes. Shrewsbury knows he has to improve the talent level in the program. That was Mike Brey's downfall - he rode 5 guys that weren't getting any better and he just kept doubling down without bringing in better players. Loyalty was admirable but it also led to his ultimate demise.

I hear ya.
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-21 16:16:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don’t think he has the athleticism and explosiveness to be a main contributor in the ACC as a post player. I admire his effort and he seems like a fine young man. I hope he finds a school that fits his skill set. I hope for nothing but the best for Matt.

Well said. My sentiments exactly. Good luck, Matt. *
by leprechan923  (2024-03-21 18:47:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post