Not in my opinion
by doozie (2017-07-14 13:12:05)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Is this the best shape the program has ever been in?  posted by bluengold07

We have not demonstrated an ability to consistently perform at the levels of Digger's teams. Digger had back to back seasons that were Final 4 and Elite 8; he had a streak in which ND's final AP rankings were 5, 14, 7, 10, 6, 4, 9, 7 - pretty consistent top 10 nationally. Those years included 2 years in which we were ranked no 1 in the AP weekly poll at some point in the year and two years in which we were ranked no 2. I've got to believe that the Athletic and Convocation Center at that point was considered a pretty top notch facility. The program is in very good shape, but I don't see us yet at the level of being a perennial national power - I still think we need better talent. Brey relies on a system that maximizes the talents of the players he recruits, but he has certainly never had a combination of talent on one team like Dantley, Shumate and Brokaw. During the Digger years I was optimistic of being a top 5 program; currently my optimistic outlook is consistent Sweet 16.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.