Practice about to start
by Kayo (2017-07-06 17:01:17)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Mooney 10 pounds lighter & more chiseled.

Can't see a difference with Gibbs, but I'll see if he plays quicker.

Durham is thin but not the stick figure I expected.

Harvey looks the part of a great athlete.

Thanks. Appreciate all that you do. *
by BTFNDGUY  (2017-07-07 08:54:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm liking an awful lot of this. *
by guinness1940  (2017-07-07 07:13:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the great info. I love what I read. *
by 2Domer  (2017-07-07 00:01:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few more notes
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 21:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

New guys

Harvey looks like a freshman who has practiced only a few times. The young man is very talented, obviously; but he's easily screened and gets lost in the offense.

Durham also needs to learn ND's ways, but hishyear of college basketball experience shows. He can cut to the basket like Auguste, but he also showed some good post moves.

Big men

Durham and Geben are the best two at this point, Durham because of his talent and Geben because he knows what he's doing and he wants to have a great senior year. Geben looked decisive and quick on both ends.

That isn't a slight to Burns or Mooney. In fact, the 5 on 5 scrimmages were highly entertaining because the four big men, two on each side, were very physical playing against each other. This is a tough group.

Mooney's shot has a strange hitch. It can't possibly be good for shooting consistency.

Speaking of shooting

Farrell is the best shooter on the team. Colson is the next best shooter, at least for now. Others have potential to be good shooters; but with the top two gone after this season, Goodwin shouldn't have any trouble having a role as a freshman.

Other

This team is really fast. The slowest on the team is average. Pfleuger, Farrell, Gibbs, Djogo, Torres, Harvey, and Burns can fly.

I haven't transcribed the interview yet, but I had a great conversation with Colson. In general, Bonzie has been pretty reserved with me over the years. Today he was much more animated. We talked about being a leader. I believe he is ready to be a great one. He's comfortable in the role like Connaughton was, even excited about it. It isn't a burden to him, and I can't say that about the team leader every year.

Brey said this group doesn't have the guy who is a calming influence. It's an emotional and driven group, a bunch of Hansbroughs but not off the deep end like Hansbrough sometimes was (Hansbrough comment is mine). Brey said he'll have to be the steadying influence this season.

The lack of pure shooting seems like a problem to me
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2017-07-07 17:00:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really helps when you have 4 guys who can drain threes in Brey's offense. It spreads things out, allows for the screening to work and gives Bonzi space to do what he does.

Apparently Goodwin can really stroke it, though?

There are other possibilities
by Kayo  (2017-07-08 09:24:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they have to show consistency in game situations.

Gibbs was a 32% three point shooter last season, not good; but he was a freshman catching up to the speed of college basketball. Freshmen often rush their shots even when it isn't necessary. I won't be surprised to see him improve to 40%, but I have to see it to believe it.

Pfleuger was a 40% three point shooter last season, but he only had 68 attempts. He will shoot more this season; and if he can maintain 40% or improve on it, we'll be very pleased. Again, I have to see it to believe it.

I've only seen Djogo in practice. Sometimes he can't miss from outside. Other times I've seen a pedestrian outside shot. He is, potentially, another shooter; but I don't know about his consistency yet. He's also a good slasher; so if he does establish himself as an outside shooting threat, he will be able to dribble past defenders who defend the shot aggressively.

The final potential shooting option for this season will be Harvey, but I have no idea what to expect from him.

Those are four possibilities to add outside shooting to the rotation. I'm confident one of them will emerge; and really, two emerging is a reasonable expectation. I just don't know which two it will be.

Mooney too
by PortND  (2017-07-08 11:10:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could force himself into the rotation because of his outside shot.

Noie mentioned the emotional topic in his chat yesterday.
by beancounter  (2017-07-07 09:18:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Said Torres would be an elder statesman and a voice of reason when Bonzie and Farrell ran hot. Interesting topic, I remember a couple times last year Steve and VJ pulling Bonzie and Matt away from scrums.

Really enjoy all your posts. Thanks for all the great insigh
by drmurray  (2017-07-07 06:43:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the women's board as well

What were the line-ups
by Ajax  (2017-07-06 21:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the scrimmage? With TJ and Rex with Farrell/Bonzie/Geben, it's hard to come up with a PG option for the second team. DJ or Djogo?

It would almost make sense to have Atkins run point for the second team, but I thought per NCAA rules he (as the VC) is not allowed to be a practice participant.

Changed lineups a lot
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 21:37:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was Farrell vs Gibbs most of the time, but they played together some of the time too. Honestly, I don't remember who else took the ball. I'd give it to Colson. He can do everything else.

Colson vs Harangody
by jmabc  (2017-07-06 22:41:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both came back for a 4th year with a lot of hype. I thought Luke strayed too much from his strengths as sort of an NBA audition. What are your thoughts on Bonzie for his senior year?

Different cases
by Kayo  (2017-07-07 10:24:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The first thing that's different is that Harangody submitted his name for the draft, did the NBA tour, and came back to school. Colson didn't do the NBA stuff.

Depending on the player, the tour can be counterproductive. In Harangody's case, he was told that a 6'5" guy had to be a better shooter; so he took his offense outside to the detriment of what made him an outstanding college player. That would have been fine if he had been a good shooter, but his shooting percentages (both overall and three point) fell the more he shot from outside. He more than doubled his three point attempts and increased the number of midrange jumpers.

Colson is a similar player in many ways, but he already is a better shooter than Harangody ever was (43% three point shooting last season, 50% in conference games); and while Harangody was a really good post scorer, Colson is better at actually posting up a player, backing him to the basket, and scoring. Both of those skills can translate Bonzie the NBA as a big guard or a small forward. I don't envision him being a high pick because of his tweener size, but I think he can make a team right away and have an NBA career. I also think he knows exactly where he stands with the NBA, and he knows he can't do much to change the perception at this point in his career. Remember, Colson's dad is a coach who was a four year starter at Rhode Island and an excellent player in his day. The Colsons have access to information and realistic expectations.

Just to offer a different example of the NBA tout, Beachem got the perfect feedback to be a better player as a senior after taking the tour. Improve as a defender, hit the boards harder, and take the ball to the basket more. When VJ did those things, he was really good; but he didn't do them often enough. They never got fully integrated into his game.

With all due respect to LFH...
by Naughman  (2017-07-10 09:58:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Colson possesses a shooter's touch that Luke never really had. He did expand his game over time, but Bonzie is a more versatile player because he has the ability to pull a big defender away from the basket. This presents opponents with a difficult choice because chasing Colson opens passing lanes for ND's offense; not chasing Colson offers him open looks from behind the arc, and that resulted in an even more unfavorable outcome almost half the time last season.

3 on 3 ball screen drill
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 17:34:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Burns screens well.

Don't give Djogo a crease or he will dunk.

Kayo needs a twitter account for us to follow *
by PortND  (2017-07-06 17:39:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have one. I'll use it next time.
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 18:00:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't plan well.

What the heck...
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 18:01:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

@garverlake

Well Crap, now I have to give in and get a Twitter account *
by Bob Sacamano  (2017-07-06 18:12:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can read without an account *
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 20:35:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

5 on 0 drill
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 17:27:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Imaginary or real defenders, same offense we've watched for years - cuts, screens, ball movement... And they run it fast.

That's how Brian Kelly develops his offensive game plans.
by Rallying Son  (2017-07-20 10:25:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He assumes there won't be any defenders there to stop the nifty passes he's drawn up.

Awesome...............
by PortND  (2017-07-06 17:09:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

keep the updates coming

No knee braces, neither Durham nor Burns. *
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 17:09:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.