Anyone know why Auguste isn't getting summer league minutes? *
by UpperEastSideIrish (2017-07-02 22:31:23)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Zack had good game last outing +12 in 26 minutes 12 rb
by dbcsmith  (2017-07-04 19:31:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

11 pts on 5/6 from field and 1/1 from the line 4 steals and no turnovers

Heat
STARTERS MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

O. WhiteF 37 9-20 2-7 9-10 0 6 6 3 0 2 5 4 +2 29
Z. Auguste 26 5-6 1-1 0-0 2 10 12 0 4 0 0 7 +12 11
Z. IrvinF 24 0-6 0-3 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 -1 0
L. Murray Jr.F 21 3-8 0-1 0-0 0 6 6 0 2 1 1 2 +6 6
L. PerrantesG 32 3-9 1-3 5-6 1 4 5 4 3 0 6 2 +2 12

Easier-to-read stats:
by Jess  (2017-07-06 09:11:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

STARTERS MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS
O. White F 37 9-20 2-7 9-10 0 6 6 3 0 2 5 4 +2 29
Z. Auguste 26 5-6 1-1 0-0 2 10 12 0 4 0 0 7 +12 11
Z. Irvin F 24 0-6 0-3 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 -1 0
L. MurrayJr.F 21 3-8 0-1 0-0 0 6 6 0 2 1 1 2 +6 6
L. Perrantes G 32 3-9 1-3 5-6 1 4 5 4 3 0 6 2 +2 12

I used the "pre" tag fwiw.

Watched part of that game when he was in and he looked
by Tim Kelley  (2017-07-05 10:41:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pretty good...even on defense at times. The announcers were commenting a lot on his athleticism.

Saw that. Great start. Hopefully he gets more minutes. *
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2017-07-05 10:13:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't know, but I can speculate.
by Kayo  (2017-07-03 18:49:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, the most center minutes will go to Bam Adebayo, Miami's first round draft pick. Adebayo is a very talented one-and-done player from Kentucky who needs the preparation for the NBA. At 20 years old, he needs to play as much as possible.

Regarding Zach, I really don't think he is an NBA player. He is a better athlete than basketball player.

On offense, he was good playing screen-roll in college; but he has neither a center's post game nor a forward's outside shot. On defense, he was a good shot blocker helping from the weak side; but he never was a very good one-on-one post defender.

Zach needs to become a forward or a center. It doesn't matter which one he chooses; but when he does, he has to develop his game accordingly. If he wants to make an NBA team as a center, he needs to defend the post better and become a threat to score or pass when he gets the ball in the block. If he wants to make an NBA team as a forward, he needs to develop a reliable outside shot.

Or he can go to Europe, play in a league his current skill set will support, and make a nice living for 10 years.

Thoughts on Demetrius Jackson?
by maine domah  (2017-07-03 21:22:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had a rough game tonight and the Celtics have a lot of guards. As a Celtics fan, I was pumped when he fell to them in the second round, but I saw him play a few games in the D-League last year and he was good but never dominant. Do you think he can catch on in the NBA?

I think he's good enough to make a team
by Kayo  (2017-07-04 09:54:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Demetrius is fast and athletic. He's good with the ball, a willing defender, and an unselfish ball player. His baseline is backup point guard; and with experience, he can be a starter on some teams.

As with ll NBA guards, shooting will determine how much Jackson plays. Just about every NBA starting guard is a good shooter, and many who come off the bench can shoot but do little else.

Boston is a tough situation for Jackson. Isaiah Thomas is the entrenched starting point guard. Terry Rozier is the #2 point guard; and because the Celtics spent a first round draft pick on him, he will get every opportunity to succeed. The good news for DJ is that Rozier has shot like (poop) his first two seasons in Boston - 35% overall and 30% from three point range. The bad news for DJ is that Rozier's percentages improved from season 1 to season 2, so improvement again in season 3 will not leave a spot in the rotation.

There are other teams that can use a guy with Jackson's skills, so I think he'll get a chance; and given a chance, I believe he will succeed. The aforementioned Isaiah Thomas is a second round draft pick who has become an all-star guard on a good team. Thomas spent three years in Sacramento, part of a season in Phoenix, and a season and a half in Boston before becoming the Celts' full time starter. Like Thomas, Jackson needs to get on the right team.

Twolves need another PG. I'd think Thibs would like DJs...
by JGreer'83  (2017-07-04 11:04:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

willingness to play D and distribute the ball. I'm not sold on Tyus Jones' defense yet.

That would be a good situation
by Kayo  (2017-07-04 13:14:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, DJ has a four year contract with the Celtics. The Timberwolves would have to trade for him or hope the Celtics cut him because they have too many guards. I suspect we're a year away from the latter if it's going to happen at all.

Apparently the Celtics may need to waive DJ
by RedIrish  (2017-07-04 20:25:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as part of creating room to sign Gordon Hayward. They could also trade him in the coming days. All of this is per the linked article below. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out for him. I hope he lands with a good organization.

Could happen, but...
by Kayo  (2017-07-04 21:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jackson's contract is cap friendly if he's on the team especially in years three and four. If the Celtics think he's a keeper, they will try very hard to keep him.

Interesting. I'd rather see him stay with the Celtics.
by RedIrish  (2017-07-04 22:44:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even with the logjam at guard in front of him, they are a competent organization that will find a way to make the most of DJ's talents. I'd prefer that to incompetent wastelands, like, say, the Knicks or Bulls.

This is a tough one, but I kind of agree with Kayo
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2017-07-05 10:38:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he is an explosive player and could be a starter somewhere eventually - he just needs to get lucky and find that place. Look at guys all around the league, from Isaiah Thomas to Kemba Walker to John Wall - after a few years in the league, point totals go up and quality of play gets better.

I feel like DJ has what it takes to play, more so than anyone at ND over the last few seasons. But he might get to the point in Boston where he gets too old and expensive for teams to give him a chance. I think he did the right thing playing all 3 years in college (and hope he finishes his degree) but the tendency seems to be for the pro teams to get the kids when they're younger and younger. They might not want to wait until he's 26 or 27 to reach peak. So a trade to a team that needs a solid PG might be a blessing for DJ.

Incidentally, I love DJ's story. He's a perfect example of what Notre Dame can do for someone's life. I'm selfishly pulling for him.

This from the Boston Globe
by irishkey9  (2017-07-05 10:56:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

'Demetrius Jackson is in a trickier spot. With nearly $650,000 of Jackson’s deal guaranteed, the Celtics are far better off trading him into cap room than waiving him (to minimize the hit on their cap). After a disappointing rookie season, some signs of life during summer league this week would help in finding a team willing to take on Jackson’s modest deal.'

Doubt DJ stays
by oldbender  (2017-07-05 15:10:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate to say this, but I doubt the Celtics keep him. Jackson has two problems, his lack of size and his erratic shooting. He has never been a great shooter.going all the way back to high school. I watched his first summer game when he was 3 for 12, including some wide open shots. The celtics already have one poor shooting guard in Marcus Smart. However, Marcus has size and some court smarts on both ends of the floor. I doubt Smarts going anywhere. The celts play again tonight. Hopefully, DJ will look better and will find a home somewhere. Whatever happens I doubt his future lies with the celtics.

Smart is probably the odd man out
by DBCooper  (2017-07-05 16:38:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of course it will depend on the marketplace, but Bradley, Smart or Crowder have to be traded. Crowder is on a very cheap contract and can play the 4 if they go small. Bradley is a free agent after this year but Boston will have bird rights, Smart is a RFA so any other team can give him a ton and either force Boston to lose him or sign him to more then he probably is worth. Plus Smart is younger so you may be able to get most in return for him.
I think it will come done to AB or Smart getting traded but Im guessing Smart will get more in return. Jackson could survive if the Celtics trade a few pieces for something in return where some money is saved to put them under the cap if DJ is kept. He hasnt played well but he is a cheap option for them to keep around another year.

Crowder could be gone
by oldbender  (2017-07-05 17:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could be correct, but I'm thinking that Crowder will be gone with the addition of the new guy from Utah. We'll just have to see how it plays out. I just don't see much of a future for Jackson in Boston. Shuffling between the D league and the big team isn't much of a life.

Boston having something on the order of a million picks
by dfw  (2017-07-05 17:46:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the next 3 drafts doesn't bode well for DJ there. As Ainge doesn't want to get rid of any picks, they will definitely be drafting lots of young players soon.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.