2017-2018 non-conference schedule officially released. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton (2017-06-29 15:49:38)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Maybe I haven't been paying attention...
by Naughman  (2017-06-30 10:02:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but is the season getting longer? November 11th sounds obscenely early for a first regular-season game. Maybe it's just me.

Great to see DePaul back on the schedule. I'd like to see Marquette and Dayton brought back on at some point, too. And given that the program appears to be ascending to a higher level, I hope that we'll start to toughen up the OOC to match our loftier expectations. It doesn't have to be MSU-tough, but I don't think it will hurt us in the long run to play more quality teams early as more of a reloader than a rebuilder.

Here are last year's RPIs for all OOC opponents. I still don't understand why we don't strip out anyone on the wrong side of 300 as a basic prerequisite. I mean, only three teams in the entire universe of 351 had a worse RPI than St Francis last season. There have to be plenty of opportunities to schedule teams in the 150-250 range who we could pencil in as a W but would be less likely to throttle our SOS.

DePaul - 237
Mount St. Mary's - 138
Chicago State - 318
Maui - Cal (64), LSU (195), Marquette (67), Michigan (23), VCU (26), Wichita (29)
MSU - 47
St. Francis Brooklyn - 348
Ball State - 175
Delaware - 238
IU - 82
Dartmouth - 304
Southeastern Louisiana - 252

No argument that the bottom is fairly poor,
by 84david  (2017-07-01 10:38:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But there are some interesting games. Playing MSU, IU, DePaul and Marquette
has a bit of a nostalgic feel to it.

Either way our ACC slate will prop up the RPI, so we'll be fine.

Blame it on the Masters
by tb-sb  (2017-06-30 13:52:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be better for all (exceptCBS) if basketball started in December (the end of the football season) and lasted until April. Sure, it would go up against the first round of the NBA playoffs, but I don't think that would cut into the ratings very much.

However CBS has the rights, and the crown jewel ofCBS Sports is the Masters. Nothing is going to interfere with detract from that event. I feel certain that the NCAA is contractually bound to finish its tournament before the Masters starts.

Starting a month later:
(a) would not hurt NCAA football;
(b) would assist women's basketball, because it's finals would not be the same weekend was the men"s; and
(c) would help men's basketball because it's first month would not be overshadowed by NCAA football
and there would be less of an overlap with the NFL.
But it won't happen.

I'm not sure I agree
by pmoose  (2017-06-30 15:11:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think ratings for college basketball are poor with the exception of a handful of games until the conference season starts. Most conference seasons get into full swing in January (maybe a game or two in December). I doubt the games in November and December cut into NCAA football either since it is leading to the end of the seasons with conference championship games to figure out in those last few weeks and goes into the Bowl season.

A majority of the good CBB match ups in November
by Ajax  (2017-06-30 15:22:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are during the week and do not conflict with high profile CFB games- particularly conference championships.

Looks like I was just wrong about the timeline.
by Naughman  (2017-06-30 14:33:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's been this way for a while. Back before I realized that football is not a fan-friendly sport of any tangible merit, I simply wouldn't have been paying attention to November basketball. But, hey, plenty of free time for this now, St. Francis of Brooklyn or no St. Francis of Brooklyn.

You're right about the Masters, but everything considered I'd prefer to see basketball end in April rather than drag into the middle of August like the NBA does.

The current custom of early November openers began in 1997
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-06-30 23:59:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Before 1974, ND had opened in November only five times in its history -- 1935, 1939, 1940, 1941, and 1942. ND has opened in November every year since 1974, except for early December openers in 1978, 1979, and 1992, when the NCAA briefly reduced the maximum number of regular season games to 27 (excluding "exempt" in-season tournaments).

ND's first opener before Thanksgiving came in 1985, when Thanksgiving fell as late as possible (November 28) and teams were permitted to open their seasons the preceding weekend. ND also had pre-Thanksgiving openers in the Preseason NIT in 1986 and 1990, and opened before Thanksgiving in 1991 and 1996 when Thanksgiving again fell on November 28.

ND opened the 1997-1998 season on November 17. Since then, ND has opened before Thanksgiving every season, and it has opened at least 10 days before Thanksgiving every year since 2006-2007.

It's a financial issue
by Kayo  (2017-06-30 10:58:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bringing St Francis and Dartmouth to South Bend doesn't cost much more than the price if a bus ride, a night at the Super 8, and a bag of balls. Chicago State doesn't need the Super 8 stay.

Most of the non-conference teams ND plays at home are inexpensive. The tougher games are at neutral sites where both teams are paid well to appear.

Some of examples:

Duke's non-conference home games in 2016-17 were Marist (276), Grand Canyon (131), William & Mary (110), Appalachian State (300), Maine (323), and Tennessee State (161) plus Michigan State in the ACC - Big Ten Challenge... 2 games vs 300+ RPI.

UCLA's non-conference home games in 2016-17 were Pacific (223), Cal Northridge (313), San Diego (98), Long Beach State (213), UC Riverside (330), Michigan (sucks), UC Santa Barbara (324), and Western Michigan (174).... 3 games vs 300+ RPI.

Villanova's non-conference home games in 2016-17 were Lafayette (321), College of Charleston (62), Saint Joseph's (201), LaSalle (137), Temple (135), and American (310)... 2 games vs 300+ RPI.

Marquette's non-conference home games in 2016-17 were Howard (338), IUPUI (218), Houston Baptist (176), Western Carolina (271), Fresno State (76), Wisconsin (ongoing home-and-home), St Prancis PA (257), SIU Edwardsville (333)... 2 games vs 300+ RPI.

We might not like it, but ND's scheduling is standard practice in college basketball.

I'm amazed Chicago State is still scheduling games. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-06-30 13:47:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can't argue with your examples.
by Naughman  (2017-06-30 11:29:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It just seems, anecdotally, that we generally end up with more bottom-feeding RPI anchors that most of our peers, and that our SOS is typically impacted more by the holes in our schedule than the headliners.

You make a good point about proximity -- that's certainly a consideration. Still, if you're going to pay someone like St. Francis to travel here, how much more would it cost to foot the bill for a team closer to 250 than 350 on the RPI scale?

IU's paying Miller $125K bonus if only 1 >300 RPI game
by SB Jimbo  (2017-06-30 14:04:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure how Brey would react to something like that.

A big FU to Crean...
by iudomer  (2017-06-30 15:20:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but then again a horrid AD who let Crean do that crap.

St Francis will be on a tour of the Midwest
by Kayo  (2017-06-30 12:26:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They will play several games in a row vs major conference opponents in ND's general vicinity to minimize cost. I'll bet there are at least two games right before and/or right after the Notre Dame game from a list of DePaul, Marquette, Butler, and all of the Big Ten schools. There might even be a winnable game on the schedule vs UIC, Chicago State, or the like.

St Francis will not be booking a round trip from Brooklyn to South Bend.

In general this is how all body bag teams behave
by Section12  (2017-06-30 13:57:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they'll be off campus for week and a half and cram 5 games in before they return to campus.

It's an important revenue source for low level D1 programs
by Kayo  (2017-06-30 15:15:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the host team, it's a cheap date; and it gets to have its way with the other team.

The home team might not sell many single game tickets for these match-ups, but season ticket holders pay for them as much as they pay for conference games. Historically, ND hasn't drawn incrementally when it has brought teams from better conferences to South Bend (Missouri Valley, West Coast, and the like); so I don't really blame ND for scheduling the least expensive opponents. However, the program is more popular locally than it has been in a long time. I wonder if the marginal revenue from ticket sales for better opponents would exceed the marginal cost of scheduling them.

Let's see if there is any extra interest for Ball State, a MAC team. If ND can't get 5,000 people for that game, I don't know why it should bother scheduling more teams from the second tier of conferences.

Is it because Thanksgiving is earlier this year?
by irishlaw2010  (2017-06-30 10:53:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And teams need to get games in before their Holiday Tourneys?

That being said, it doesn't seem that unusual as compared to our first non-exhibition game dates over the last 10 years:

07/08 - Nov. 12
08/09 - Nov. 16
09/10 - Nov. 14
10/11 - Nov. 12
11/12 - Nov. 12
12/13 - Nov. 10
13/14 - Nov. 8
14/15 - Nov. 14
15/16 - Nov. 13
16/17 - Nov. 12

Fewer RPI bottom-dwellers than last year, at least
by NDLuthy  (2017-06-30 10:32:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We had Bryant (285), Seattle (287), Chicago St. (318), NC A&T (350), and Colgate (294).

It will be interesting to see where our OOC S)S ends up- last year was 185, maybe we can crack 150 this year.

I like that we are playing three true road games.
by hollownd  (2017-06-30 08:51:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It never made sense to me that we wouldn't want to play at least a couple of road games before the conference schedule. This probably won't be a trend though as the DePaul and Delaware games are both special circumstances. Brey wouldn't typically schedule this way.

First time a Brey team ever has opened on the road
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-06-30 09:31:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The last road opener was in 1999, the Matt Doherty season, when we upset Ohio State in the preseason NIT opener. Road openers used to be routine for ND. Digger's teams had road openers against such teams as Maryland and UCLA.

Love the Bethel exhibition
by Section12  (2017-06-29 16:02:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it should be well attended.

The Bethel game would have been interesting
by Mark_It_Zero  (2017-06-29 15:58:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if it took place a couple years ago when they had Yeo, Schauss, and Miller. They still have some talent so they may keep it close for a little while, but those 3 guys were all major talents.

Cardinal Stritch is not at the same level as the last meeting when they kept it pretty close the whole game. They went on the win the NAIA D2 national championship that year. Cardinal Stritch lost to Holy Cross College last year. They probably won't put up much of a fight.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.